PDA

View Full Version : Having some pretty serious brake issues

mbogosia
01-11-2006, 08:30 PM
My 95 525IA's brakes have felt funny for a while. I decided that the pads and rotors must be glazed or worn. I replaced them all. Problem still existed. I had the fluid replaced and bled and I still have the problem.

When you hit the brakes they feel much softer than they should and the car tends to move when I have to apply them hard. When I say move it dives left a little. They also make a weird noise. Not a grinding, but a weird noise I can't explain. They feel very weak and I feel if I come to a time where I need to stop quick I won't make it. So, where should I start? I can't afford to go to a shop and have them randomly replace parts until they work.

632 Regal
01-11-2006, 08:34 PM
search "brake bedding"

Torque
01-11-2006, 08:35 PM
It's funny you mention that, because I had it for a while too, but replacing the front rotors helped solve the problem.

I honestly have no idea what the problem could be.

edit: Bleeding didn't help in my case either.

Kalevera
01-11-2006, 08:38 PM
Mbo, sit in the car, ignition off, pump up the brake pedal (four or five presses should do it), hold the pedal down on the last pump and turn on the ignition/start the car. It should fall a few millimeters as the engine starts. If it goes to the floor, check the master cylinder. Also check the brake booster and vacuum hose for air leaks.

best, whit

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-11-2006, 09:39 PM
The pulling to one side, would suggest that the ABS may not be working properly, or a caliper is gummed up.

Check all the wheel sensors to make sure they are connected.

When was the last time to calipers were changed or rebuilt?

mbogosia
01-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Whit,

Thats the advice I'm looking for. Regal I know it is not bedding in the brakes b/c it did the same thing with the old pads and rotors. I replaced them hoping it would fix the problem but it didn't.

mbogosia
01-11-2006, 09:43 PM
calipers are the originals, but I cleaned them up real good when I did the brakes and they seemed fine. Which sensors? The pad sensors would have nothing to do with it right?

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-11-2006, 09:50 PM
It's a little magnetic pick up pluse generator located on the axle.

Look for a toothed wheel on the axle and there should be a pick up mounted near it.

mbogosia
01-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Ahh! Good stuff. I'll have to wait until this weekend to get to it though. Thanks

mbogosia
01-11-2006, 10:07 PM
Whit, just did your test and it only fell a few milimeters like it should.

Kalevera
01-11-2006, 10:37 PM
How was the system bled?

I'd be surprised if it were caliper or ABS tone wheel related. A bad or nonexistent pulse from a tone wheel would fault out the system shortly after driving, lighting the idiot lamp on the dash; it's unlikely that two (or more) calipers would hang in the same fashion, especially if all pistons were easily compressed back into the bores with the new pads. ABS control or actuating modules are a possibility, but you'd probably still have an idiot light. My money is on a physical problem: air in the system somewhere, a bad diaphram in the brake booster (they don't usually fail, but the symptoms indicate a lack of power assist), vacuum leak, or a sticking check valve before the booster itself.

best, whit

mbogosia
01-12-2006, 07:04 AM
I am sure there is a lack of power assist. On my wifes 325i the brakes are firm and feel great. On mine it feels as if they work, but the pads are not getting pushed down with enough force. I am going to possibly re-bleed, and look for vacuum leaks this weekend. I am a little uncertain about finding the check valve before the booster. I checked the ETK and couldn't find it either.

DanDombrowski
01-12-2006, 09:30 AM
I'm missing something here. When the power assist goes out (i.e., car stalling), the brake pedal becomes very, very stiff, almost to the point where you have to hang on the wheel and stand on the brake pedal. When there are air in the lines, the pedal is real spongy and soft. You say that your wife's brakes are firm, so I'm assuming yours are not. That would lead me to believe you do not have a power assist issue, but I might be reading your description wrong.

grave77
01-12-2006, 09:45 AM
something you should do as well when u bleed is that u need to bleed the rears too ... and make sure that you bleed them few times. I had a problem before and actually still do due to some air getting in the rear calipers. it does affect the braking in such way u did explain.

Edit: whats the rims size you have? if you have bigger rims than 16" you will feel this braking problem.

mbogosia
01-12-2006, 06:52 PM
I'm missing something here. When the power assist goes out (i.e., car stalling), the brake pedal becomes very, very stiff, almost to the point where you have to hang on the wheel and stand on the brake pedal. When there are air in the lines, the pedal is real spongy and soft. You say that your wife's brakes are firm, so I'm assuming yours are not. That would lead me to believe you do not have a power assist issue, but I might be reading your description wrong.

You are right. I am having trouble explaining my issues. The pedal is definetly soft and spongy feeling. They do not have that firm feeling to them at all. I am beginning to believe that having them bled by a independent shop might solve my troubles. I want to take it to a good shop so I know it was doen right.