PDA

View Full Version : Help with Rocker Arm Shaft placement

DanH
01-11-2006, 05:38 PM
I have a problem with how my 4 rocker arm shafts need to be placed in my M30 head. They were labeled when taken out(not by me), however, the labels are wrong, since the rocker arms won't line up with the valve stems(over an inch off).

Therefore, I need to know which one goes where. I looked at realoem.com but the exploded diagram doesn't show both shafts in the picture.

Do the longer shafts go in from the front of the head (cylinder #1 end)?

Which side do the shafts with oil holes in the end headbolt indentations go on intake or exhaust? One set of shafts has no oil holes in the headbolt indents and the other set has two.

If anyone feels like disassembling their head and taking some pictures...:p

Thank you,

Scott H
01-11-2006, 05:44 PM
I just put my head back together two weeks ago

make sure the cam is in first! (if you took it out)

1) The longer shafts go in the front
2) the ends with the alan bolts go toward the outside
3) each rocker shaft is unique. do a mock up before inserting them in the head with a rocker arm, clip, retainer, and spring and it will become obvious that you can only install them one way as the rocker arm should land roughly where the cam lob is and the eccentric should tap off-center of the valve stem
4) obviously all the notches in the rocker arms must face the openings for the head bolts

Jeff N.
01-11-2006, 07:33 PM
I suppose I should read bentley's but looks like you have hands on.

3) each rocker shaft is unique. do a mock up before inserting them in the head with a rocker arm, clip, retainer, and spring and it will become obvious that you can only install them one way as the rocker arm should land roughly where the cam lob is and the eccentric should tap off-center of the valve stem
4) obviously all the notches in the rocker arms must face the openings for the head bolts

Scott H
01-11-2006, 07:50 PM
Nope....once you pull the plate off, it slides out the front.

I suppose I should read bentley's but looks like you have hands on.

DanH
01-12-2006, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the tip on putting the cam in first, I'll have to do that. I was thinking it was going to be hard to get it in after the rockers were installed.
Do you still have to manually compress a few valves to do it that way, or did you just rotate the cam?

What kind of lube did you use on the cam lobes and journals?
Haynes says to use moly lube and I can't remember what Bentley says right now. What are some name brands that I can look for? (I haven't found any "moly" lube.) I dont want to use something that'll mess up the engine later...

Scott H
01-12-2006, 10:59 AM
I used the 20w50 break in oil all over everything as I installed each piece.

I hand rotated the cam to compress the necessary valves. Take your time and use the 41mm nut on the front to rotate things. If you don't have that, take something to protect your hands and bolt the gear on. Grab the gear and turn it by hand......it's tough this way, but it works. You will need an extra set of hands to secure the head while you do this.

Do you still have to manually compress a few valves to do it that way, or did you just rotate the cam?

What kind of lube did you use on the cam lobes and journals?