PDA

View Full Version : fair price?

tim
01-11-2006, 02:20 PM
for a nice 1990 535ia w/ 60k in a local paper. Can anybody id the custom stereo or detector? Should I even bother- the guy is asking 9k.

tim
01-11-2006, 02:22 PM
more pix

tim
01-11-2006, 02:23 PM
last ones

Jay 535i
01-11-2006, 02:26 PM
That's a lot of money, obviously due to the mileage.

If low mileage is important to you, see if you can haggle him down a bit. If mileage isn't that important (note my 535 is still going strong with over 140,000mi, as are many others around here), you could get a nice 535 for little more than half that.

See pics of my car by clicking the pic in my signature. See how good it looks even with the high miles? You needn't spend 9k to get a nice one. You could buy one with higher mileage and the money you save will be enough to buy a whole brand new engine when the time comes.

NY535iManual
01-11-2006, 02:56 PM
I agree with Jay - I studied the market religiously for several months before buying my car, and concluded that a moderate mileage car could be had for less than half of that $9,000. In fact, 9k is more than some (admittedly perhaps rough) M5s sell for on eBay...

Jay 535i
01-11-2006, 02:57 PM
I agree with Jay - I studied the market religiously for several months before buying my car, and concluded that a moderate mileage car could be had for less than half of that $9,000. In fact, 9k is more than some (admittedly perhaps rough) M5s sell for on eBay...

Indeed. In fact, if my budget was $9k, I'd probably be looking at an E39, not E34.

dacoyote
01-11-2006, 03:00 PM
I don't think she is worth 9k... there are a lot of little things wrong with the car from the pictures

Jay 535i
01-11-2006, 03:03 PM
I don't think she is worth 9k... there are a lot of little things wrong with the car from the pictures

You're probably right. My guess is that this is one of those owners who will say, "Yes, but the mileage, the mileage!" every time you point out a flaw. Because he never drove the car he expects to get his money back. He's dreamin'.

kyleN20
01-11-2006, 03:54 PM
9 k is alot, if you want, you can have mine for half the price, more than twice the mileage, but runs like a top, and its a manual, what im saying is, low mileage shouldent be that high of a prioity for you, a nice service history ought to come first.

632 Regal
01-11-2006, 06:41 PM
Okay guys, remember the 10k rule here, if the car is maintained and can run on without service for a couple years, the paint and interior is up to par its worth 10k. subtract from there. Now the car is a bit older and dont have as many cool options it may take away from the value a bit but if the car has records and dont need nothing for a while it very well could be worth it.

dacoyote
01-11-2006, 06:42 PM
Okay guys, remember the 10k rule here, if the car is maintained and can run on without service for a couple years, the paint and interior is up to par its worth 10k. subtract from there. Now the car is a bit older and dont have as many cool options it may take away from the value a bit but if the car has records and dont need nothing for a while it very well could be worth it.

This car will not follow the 10K rule... with all the little stuff wrong that I can see in the pictures

632 Regal
01-11-2006, 06:56 PM
I dont see much wrong except no pic of the drivers seat.

tim
01-11-2006, 07:02 PM
Guys,
9k is not even on the planet for this. But you have to admit it has potential if you could get it on the cheap. The big six with 60k. I was thinking of calling and saying $6200. I'm only interested in absolute stock though, so the stereo and detector setup has me bumming a bit.

I'm also looking at another sweet car so the point may be moot. A black/black 540...but the price on that one is even higher.

I agree mileage is not much in the grand scheme of how good a car is, but it's something. Especially on the interior, and the tranny. I have alot of confidence in both the m30 and m60 to be good for at least 250k even with just average maintenance.

500th post btw

dacoyote
01-11-2006, 07:14 PM
I dont see much wrong except no pic of the drivers seat.

Front License Plate Crooked
Gear shift sliding cover broken
No Picture of the rest of the gauges

632 Regal
01-11-2006, 07:38 PM
from what I know (which isnt much) the 540 dont consume much more fuel than a 3.0 or 3.5 and the 4.0 is even better on the highway (more efficient?). Its all about condition and maintenance, what needs t be done and what has been done recently. Most owners bail before the next inspection *if they follow that* and dont want to dump money into a car they dont need anymore...this all comes off the 10K rule.

Traian
01-12-2006, 01:14 AM
Front License Plate Crooked
Gear shift sliding cover broken
No Picture of the rest of the gauges

Mmm, you're talking about a 5 cent screw and a missing photo (don't see the broken cover but I might be missing it). These cars aren't worth that little, I've seen many 525's going in the $6-8K range (CDN granted) for good examples, and never with this sort of mileage. I think mileage counts a lot less than condition / history to most enthusiasts, but for the majority of the public I think it is *the* main criteria for determining the value of the car, which means that even if you might not be willing to pay a big premium for 60K, someone else might. Best to keep looking in that case, but the price itself might not be that far off (tho I personally would never swing it).

dacoyote
01-12-2006, 01:19 AM
Some of the times the little stuff can show big issues...

How is to say that seems how the dude didn't fix a 5 cent screw... that he changed the oil... or that the tires aren't rotted out.... or that the subframe brushing aren't bad... or blah blah....

Traian
01-12-2006, 01:32 AM
Some of the times the little stuff can show big issues...

How is to say that seems how the dude didn't fix a 5 cent screw... that he changed the oil... or that the tires aren't rotted out.... or that the subframe brushing aren't bad... or blah blah....

True enough.

tim
01-12-2006, 03:10 PM
Update:

I talked to this guy and I said $5k. and he hemmed and hawed about 6k. So we have a range now. He agreed to bring the car to my garage and let me lift it and scan it.

If I get this car for 5k I think I'm doing ok- for about half of what the 540i I'm looking at costs.

632 Regal
01-12-2006, 03:12 PM
is this the same car as the post started with?
if so great deal! (mattering on maintenance of course)
Update:

I talked to this guy and I said $5k. and he hemmed and hawed about 6k. So we have a range now. He agreed to bring the car to my garage and let me lift it and scan it.

If I get this car for 5k I think I'm doing ok- for about half of what the 540i I'm looking at costs.

tim
01-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Yep, same car. We'll see. With what the insurance guys gave me for the 540 I'd be able to get some nice goodies for it too.

JonE
01-12-2006, 04:10 PM
tim,
That car has the exact same interior my car has, I like it alot. Of course, I have the stock radio (pretty sure they can be found). I think it would be quite a deal for anywhere from $6-7K, especially if it checks out mechanically and all. I've decided after seeing the pic that I won't get the Burlwood shifter, though, I like my black leather one better.
Yah, those shifter plates sure seem flimsey, my son spilled some soda on my shifter console last summer, and after a few days that sticky goo caused my shifter to get harder to move, eventually the shifter plate was what broke and caused that exact same gap that's in your picture. Bummer, I don't think they are available anymore. At least the gap is not there anytime you're in drive!
Good luck with that one!
JonE

632 Regal
01-12-2006, 04:18 PM
I believe they are still available, worse come to worse get one used.

Rus
01-12-2006, 04:26 PM
I believe they are still available, worse come to worse get one used.

I just bought a new one from my dealer. They even had it in stock. Here's the info:

Sliding Cover
p/n: 51 16 1 938 352

I believe it was about $16 for the piece. Or you can always replace it with some heavy gauge black vinyl (repair info can be found on this forum somewhere). Hope this helps.

JonE
01-12-2006, 04:41 PM
I just bought a new one from my dealer. They even had it in stock. Here's the info:

Sliding Cover
p/n: 51 16 1 938 352

I believe it was about $16 for the piece. Or you can always replace it with some heavy gauge black vinyl (repair info can be found on this forum somewhere). Hope this helps.

Cool! Thanks for the info. Another project makes it on the list!