PDA

View Full Version : custom rebuild of starter -->results

skr
01-11-2006, 11:24 AM
i have posted a while back about my starter reductor failing. the broken piece was a round piece of plastic (left in picture). Now it ain't plastic no more, as u can see on the right.
i've been running my car for 2 weeks with it with no problems. so, if anyone needs the autocad drawings for it , let me know
This was the best material choice because steel on steel whould wear out faster. Also made a plastic one but it didn't seam strong enough.

Dave M
01-11-2006, 11:31 AM
This was the best material choice because steel on steel whould wear out faster. Also made a plastic one but it didn't seam strong enough.

Very innovative. Are you a machinest? Maybe I'm missing something though...you state its not plastic and that steel on steel would wear quickly, but do not state what you actually used.

So, the obvious question is....

Nice job, hope it continues to work,

Dave M

dacoyote
01-11-2006, 11:32 AM
Nice work

Made out of?

skr
01-11-2006, 11:38 AM
some kind of brass. not sure if any thermic treatment was applied. i'm not a machinest, but i work in a big ass metalic constructions factory.

skr
01-11-2006, 11:43 AM
it was made mostly for test purposes, to see if the gear teath were well designed.

Javier
01-11-2006, 12:10 PM
Javier

skr
01-11-2006, 12:32 PM
not sure. i'll ask tomorow. lubrication was the issue for wich i didn't go with steel. if i had both surfaces made of steel , without lubrication micro welding whould appear. in few words, because of the pressure the teeth whould "weld" in some spots , ripping tiny pieces of metal from one of the parts. this agravates quickly after some point of deterioration resulting in oddly worn or even broken teeth. AFAIK , phosphor bronze is not realy wear resitent in high power aplications. i'll ask the guy tomorow for the complete descripion of the material.

Lennyz525i
01-11-2006, 02:24 PM
That's pretty hardcore diy