PDA

View Full Version : Why has no one called BMW out?

zhandax
01-11-2006, 08:05 AM
Why has no one called BMW out on the 5HP30 transmission problem? I just bought a 94 540i and drove it from Rhode Island to Tennessee and noticed the transmission shifted like the emergency brake was on at low speed (after exiting the freeway and looking for gas) Concensus seems to be a susbtandard teflon valve-body ball. I have already emailed Kirt for the update.

In looking for answers, I find there are two people on this board who have more than 125k miles on their E34 540i transmissions. I'm sorrry, but I really don't t think there are many juries in this country who would suscribe to the premise that "lifetime lubricaton' is only good for the lifetime of the warranty, whether to cover up an engineering defect or normal wear.

BMW stood behind the Nikasil engine on this same car only because the cars were still under warranty.

Will it take a class action suit to convince them that they cannot hide behind their warranty period, or will BMWs in excess of 100k miles become 'junk' cars and we can wait until the post-lease car financiers start howling?

I have always found great value and comfort from owning 10 year old BMWs and Mercedes. Mercedes went to hell in 1996, and I will be greatly annoyed if BMW follows and I have to learn Lexus nuances.

onewhippedpuppy
01-11-2006, 08:15 AM
By this point it's too late, the cars are all far too old to win a lawsuit with. Wasn't that a GM derived tranny? If so, it's funny that the GM part is the weak point of the car. Sell it, buy a manual?:)

zhandax
01-11-2006, 08:18 AM
If changing the fluid and filter do not work, that is the plan.

Bill R.
01-11-2006, 08:25 AM
By this point it's too late, the cars are all far too old to win a lawsuit with. Wasn't that a GM derived tranny? If so, it's funny that the GM part is the weak point of the car. Sell it, buy a manual?:)

Eric Clark
01-11-2006, 09:08 AM

Can't blame GM on this one. They only supplied the auto transmissions for the 525i. 530i and 540i are ZF. Not sure what the 535i uses.

Like others have said the cars are over 10 years old. A law suit will just waste your money. Many cars today are made and marketed to be sold to someone who will drive it under the standard warranty and trade it in after 3-4 years and buy another. These people often do not want to mess with taking the car in for service so the idea of lifetime fluid is appealing.

Yes BMW did back Nikasil but it was for 6 years or 100k. Your car does not fit into this so even the same policy for the transmission will not help you. It would be unreasonable for anyone to give a warranty on a transmission for anything longer then 6 years or 100k. There are some rare circumstances where this has happen but it was usually due to a car having many many problems.

tim s
01-11-2006, 09:41 AM
a mech. dumping 2 qrts. of standard atf in.
tim s.

DaCan23
01-11-2006, 12:30 PM
Usually the failures are related to non conforming fluid used in changes or topping it off. But even if the common failure is 100-125k miles + thats still a lot better than most transmissions, especially american & japanese ones.

On another note, my dads psyched to go to school to learn the new "rubber band" transmission that DaimlerChrysler is using in their new "world car". This car is about 1/2 the reason for MB's purchase of Chrsyler, MB wanted to have a "world car", the Smart & Neon were suppose to be that, but each failed the goal, so collectively they might get it right.

mikell
01-11-2006, 12:48 PM
Gee, mine has over 200k miles on it and it's still working fine (knock wood). At least I think my 530 uses the same tranny as the 540 in the same year model.
And, yes, a lawsuit would be laughed out of court - but, if you find a lawyer who'll take it on a contingent fee basis, I'll play. (emphasis on ciontingent fee)

632 Regal
01-11-2006, 12:53 PM
common problem and easy fix, you need the valvebody upgrade kit available from kurt kohller

(800)624-3876 ext 5735
or direct at (616)748-5735

zhandax
01-11-2006, 03:25 PM
I emailed Kirt last night and asked if he had these in stock but he has not replied yet. It he Kirt or Kurt? Is that the only issue with these trasnmissions?

Johntee540
01-11-2006, 05:03 PM
Mine died a natural death at 172,000 miles. I replaced it with a reman tranny from Autosport Unlimited - Kirt Koeller and crew sent it to me. My mechanic installed it and sent them back my donor tranny. It was a great experience. - If you need a tranny slushbox - this is a good way to go. They are the ZF Authorized Rebuild shop for North America. - JT

liquidtiger720
01-11-2006, 05:36 PM
Mine died @ 130K miles. Of course..I have the shitty GM transmisison.

tim s
01-11-2006, 05:48 PM
i always had to call, & sometimes had to get their operator to track him down due to always getting his voice mail at his extension.
i have my kirt koeller rebuilt 5hp30 23 months no problem.
tim s.

632 Regal
01-11-2006, 06:17 PM
email is futile, have to call and call again until he is at his desk

dacoyote
01-11-2006, 06:21 PM
email is futile, have to call and call again until he is at his desk

It is worth it...

zhandax
01-12-2006, 04:45 AM
Believe it or not, he responded. He has them in stock and they are $100. What does this upgrade kit contain? I asked my tech if he would be willing to install the upgrade (I don't have a lift and hate working while lying on my back) and he said that he had rebuilt valve bodies on E24s. However, he got the rebuild kits from BMW and they contain the balls and about 50 springs. Are we tallking about the same thing? Does the upgrade kit contain springs, or is it just the upgraded balls? Is a complete valve body rebuild required?

Also, the tech told me he had ordered some of the Penzoil multi-vehicle trans fluid, but had not tried it yet, so he cannot verify that it is a trouble free substitute. It appears he thought it was possible if he ordered some. How long has anyone driven on this stuff?

grave77
01-12-2006, 09:55 AM
you should read this thread :

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=15765&highlight=changing

between the lines you will read more than fluid issues. might help you up

632 Regal
01-12-2006, 12:15 PM
use the Shell oil only or you "may" have short or long term problems.