PDA

View Full Version : E34 M30 flywheel Questions

GS535i
01-10-2006, 02:42 PM
Does anyone know what the spec height dimension is between the pressure plate bolting surface on the flywheel outer rim to the higher level of the clutch contact surface? This is for an E24/28 M30 flywheel p/n 11 211 289 244 .
So I've just scored on an excellent condition E24 (identical to E28) flywheel to eventually replace the dual mass unit in my '90 535i. The machine shop confirmed that a max. 0.005" cut followed by a surface grind would be all that was necessary to make the clutch face perfect - and that they would remove the dowel pins to restore the proper step down dimension for the pressure plate mounting surface. I can estimate that ledge height with a dial indicator - but if the flywheel had been ground previously, it may be a poor estimate.
Knowing where to find the spec dimension would be nice .... tia

(edit) Also, the starter ring gear has 116 teeth; is that the correct number and profile for the stock 535i starter?

Scott H
01-10-2006, 06:08 PM
Your flywheel ending in 244 will work. You need to get the shorter bolts to bolt the flywheel to the end of the crankshaft. The ring gear will work fine with your 535's starter.

I can't quite follow your explaination regarding the rest. It appears you are looking to reuse something other than the flywheel you found like the clutch disc or pressure plate????

Does anyone know what the spec height dimension is between the pressure plate bolting surface on the flywheel outer rim to the higher level of the clutch contact surface? This is for an E24/28 M30 flywheel p/n 11 211 289 244 .
So I've just scored on an excellent condition E24 (identical to E28) flywheel to eventually replace the dual mass unit in my '90 535i. The machine shop confirmed that a max. 0.005" cut followed by a surface grind would be all that was necessary to make the clutch face perfect - and that they would remove the dowel pins to restore the proper step down dimension for the pressure plate mounting surface. I can estimate that ledge height with a dial indicator - but if the flywheel had been ground previously, it may be a poor estimate.
Knowing where to find the spec dimension would be nice .... tia

(edit) Also, the starter ring gear has 116 teeth; is that the correct number and profile for the stock 535i starter?

gale
01-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Does anyone know what the spec height dimension is between the pressure plate bolting surface on the flywheel outer rim to the higher level of the clutch contact surface?

The machinist that did mine was able to confirm the step is for the e28 flywheel is .011" They did a beautiful machining/balancing job and I have never driven a clutch so smooth.

I can't confirm your part number, my e28 donor flywheel is of unknown origin.

GS535i
01-10-2006, 08:06 PM
Your flywheel ending in 244 will work. You need to get the shorter bolts to bolt the flywheel to the end of the crankshaft. The ring gear will work fine with your 535's starter.

I can't quite follow your explaination regarding the rest. It appears you are looking to reuse something other than the flywheel you found like the clutch disc or pressure plate????

Sorry for the poor descriptive .... the operating surface of the flywheel has two levels. The inner 240mm circle is raised above rest of the 287mm disc by several thousandths of an inch. What is that specified distance ( by BMW) for a new flywheel?
The machinest can measure it from what we believe to be unworn spots - and after surface grinding the 240mm clutch plate area, he will further cut down the outer ~24mm band to restore this lower level plane that the pressure plate bolts to.
Hope that is clearer ... and yes, 24mm M12x1.5 bolts are needed vs the 52mm ones.

GS535i
01-10-2006, 08:13 PM
The machinist that did mine was able to confirm the step is for the e28 flywheel is .011" They did a beautiful machining/balancing job and I have never driven a clutch so smooth.

I can't confirm your part number, my e28 donor flywheel is of unknown origin.

11 thou it is!! Thanks :) Mine is actually from a '85 635 (E24) - Real.Oem confirms them to be the same beast.

duckloads
01-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Sorry to but-in on your thread, but is the e28 535i flywheel/disc/pressureplate/TO bearing a direct swap in our e34 535i?

Scott H
01-10-2006, 10:57 PM
it is

Sorry to but-in on your thread, but is the e28 535i flywheel/disc/pressureplate/TO bearing a direct swap in our e34 535i?