PDA

View Full Version : What should be there behind of center grille

baksa
01-09-2006, 07:38 AM
Maybe it's weird, but I never thought about it.
My friend noticed yesterday that my 520i with wide center grille doesn't have any protection behind the grille and that you can see A/C radiator behind of the grille.
He said that it is impossible that car doesn't have some kind of mash or something like that between grille and A/C radiator, for protection of things from the road which can cause damage to radiator if pulled into the grille.
I looked at it and this is what I can see from the front of the car through the grille:
I can see few pipes, two plastic air intakes (I suppose) on each side of the grille behind the mask, and behind all that there is A/C radiator. Is that normal or not?
Also, my mechanic said that I should see A/C fan through grille, but there is none of that, only that air intakes.

I really would appriciate if someone clears this to me.
Thank U and Happy New Year!!!

mikell
01-09-2006, 11:10 AM
No Aux fan? Maybe not on your car, but I thought all e34's had the electric auxilliary fan - especially with air cond. It's attached to a bracket in front of the a/c condensor. In front of that you should see the cooling pipes for the power steering, then the grille. To each side of the nostrils are the horns.

shogun
01-09-2006, 11:26 AM
Probably he does not have/need and aircon.
He is living

mikell
01-09-2006, 02:27 PM
But, he mentions "a/c radiator" - ?

baksa
01-10-2006, 02:40 AM
Shogun,

I thought you will give some good technical advice like always, and not remarks about place of living.
Have you ever been even near Serbia?
My car has A/C which works, and I see cooling pipes and horns( I didn't know what they are, I thought that these were some kind of air intakes ), and A/C radiator.
Can someone please send photo of your kidney grille see through to solve this.

shogun
01-10-2006, 02:57 AM
Hi Baksa,
I have been in Serbia several times a long time ago when the area was still called Jugoslavia.
The reason why I said that is that in Europe quite a number E34 and E32 are without aircondition. That was an optional extra and at that time quite expensive and many people did not order the A/C.
So consider my comments as technical comment. Sorry

Sorry, cannot make a pic as I do not have an E34.

baksa
01-10-2006, 03:58 AM
Shogun,

I hope you had a good time here.
My car is imported from Italy few years ago, and it has aircondition.
It is 1992. E34 520i 24v, with a modified look, aerodynamic pack for bumpers, wide kidney grille and hood, leather seats,alloy wheels, A/C, etc....
I would like to know is my radiator safe or not and should I go and look for protective mash if it exists for my model of the car.

Paul in NZ
01-10-2006, 04:13 AM
what you describe sounds normal,If you look harder you will also see the auxilary fan,looks like asubmaribe propellor.If you look at the grill the vertical fins are quite close together providing protection for the radiator

baksa
01-10-2006, 07:14 AM
Yes, I had a thorough look today, and there is the auxilary fan in front of radiator.
So, my airconditioner is OK, but don't you think that there should be some kind of mash protection to fan and radiator, because with wide kidneys spacing between vertical grilles is bigger than on narrow kidneys, so when you're out on the road driving around 150 - 160 Km/h (100 Mph) something (like a stone) could fly in there and make a mess with fan and radiator.
All I'm interested in is there an original part - protective mash or something that I can look for at my local dealer? I mention again that I have wide kidney center grille.

Thank you.

mikell
01-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Sounds like your car is stock - I don't know of any factory part to add additional protection. My car is now over 200,00 miles (about 320,000 km) and I have never had any damage to the a/c condensor or the radiator from road debris. I have replaced plenty of headlights, fog lights and windshields for that reason. But, we have pretty nice roads here - your conditions may make it worthwhile to improvise a bit of additional protection. Use your imagination and best judgment.

Good luck.