PDA

View Full Version : knocking, when I use brakes at low speed and on bumps

Lexie143420
01-08-2006, 05:43 PM
When I am going around corners at a low speed or bumps at a low sped it does a weird knocking noise. It is not repetitive, but it sounds like something is loose. Has anyone had this happen. I just got this car yesterday and am trying to get it fixed up..I have an 89 535i...please help I want my baby to run good...

Javier
01-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Javier

632 Regal
01-08-2006, 06:26 PM
your gonna have to inspect the entire front end...not easy by yourself but possible.

the first areas I would check for the knock you describe is the sway bar links, 2nd would be the strut collar nuts could be a little loose.

A thorough inspection is in order though

Good Luck

genphreak
01-08-2006, 06:36 PM
your gonna have to inspect the entire front end...not easy by yourself but possible. the first areas I would check for the knock you describe is the sway bar links, 2nd would be the strut collar nuts could be a little loose.I have always had a similar problem, both in my E28 and E34 535i: A solid clunk, from the somewhere front end, is bound to occur if going in reverse and turning hard... ie maneuvring backwards inside car parks or reversing down steep inclines (and immediately turning at the bottom)... I think this much is by design as everything in my front end is new, except the brakes... so a certain amount of this is by design... (i never happens to me going forwards!)

stu1
01-08-2006, 06:40 PM
I've had this exact problem. In my case changing lower and upper control arm s did the trick. Unfortuantely I did both at the same time so couldn't tell you whether it was the upper or lower.

Lexie143420
01-08-2006, 07:41 PM
Thanks so much...hopefully i can get it fixed soon but monday i'm going and having it taken completely apart and looked at since I just got it yesterday..

I've had this exact problem. In my case changing lower and upper control arm s did the trick. Unfortuantely I did both at the same time so couldn't tell you whether it was the upper or lower.

632 Regal
01-08-2006, 07:43 PM
if you go really slow and jab the brakes in drive or reverse and get a clunk its probably balljoints too.