PDA

View Full Version : E34 as my work vehicle?

mbogosia
01-08-2006, 04:51 PM
It is possible I might be starting a sales job soon. It will cover most of TN. Will driving my 95 525i with 178k miles be a good idea? I would love it if it will stay running. Right now I've got no problems.

Jay 535i
01-08-2006, 05:00 PM
It is possible I might be starting a sales job soon. It will cover most of TN. Will driving my 95 525i with 178k miles be a good idea? I would love it if it will stay running. Right now I've got no problems.

Sure, why not? Just keep it well-maintained and it'll be fine. Highway miles are easy on a car.

mbogosia
01-08-2006, 05:11 PM
That was my thinking. 85% of the miles will be highway. I was going to go get something new, but I think I might just try to drive my 5'er for a couple years. Heck, if I can get 2 -3 years more out of it I would be happy. That would put it around 260k miles.

Scott C
01-08-2006, 06:13 PM
That was my thinking. 85% of the miles will be highway. I was going to go get something new, but I think I might just try to drive my 5'er for a couple years. Heck, if I can get 2 -3 years more out of it I would be happy. That would put it around 260k miles.

Just make sure you verify the maint items are taken care of.... cause a breakage away from home is going to set you back $.

Radiator? Been replaced?
Thermostat/waterpump/thermo housing?
bearings aren't making noise, etc.
Those are my top items, others may have more...

Scott

632 Regal
01-08-2006, 06:21 PM
all hoses, belts
all fluids

mattyb
01-08-2006, 06:28 PM
i have driven mine for work for two years. its important to remember that stacking on the mileage brings a whole lotta maintanance issues to the forefront quicker than normal. little things like centre bearings, flex disc, radiator etc. just be ready for them.when u only drive limited miles and u hear a noise or a vibration u tend to let it go until uve had enough or u get around to fixing it. when u need it everyday and do say 500+ miles a week you need to fix things as soon as they happen or start to show their head otherwise complacency sets in and before u know it u let one thing go too long and it has a flow on effect. i have to say though that there is no better way to travel than an e34 for a work vehicle! all the best with the new job.

Paul in NZ
01-08-2006, 07:20 PM
and of course the scheduled maintenance rolls around more quickly too!
I do 500k 300m a week slightly more than twice as much previuosly,tho the car seems to run better for the longer runs