PDA

View Full Version : how can make sure tranny is 4hp22 (replaced by junk yard dealer)?

notesguy
01-08-2006, 07:56 AM
Without taking the tranny out, can I tell by the way the sump pan looks or something like that, if it was replaced with a 4hp22?

The reason I ask is it feels like it has 5 gears, which according to Bentley's manual, the 4hp22 has four gears. And it has a dipstick which the manual doesn't mention this model has.

I can take a picture of the sump pan if that would help.

Also, the manual mentions a ATF filler pipe. I assume that's how you add fluid - where is that?

tim
01-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Here's an article that shows a tranny service on a 4hp22. Hopefully you can identify it.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/E36-Tranny_Fluid_Auto/E36-Tranny_Fluid_Auto.htm

That fact that you have a fill tube makes me almost sure it is a 4hp22. There is a metal tag on the driver side, near the pressure taps, but I'm sure you checked that. You can use the tube for the dipstick to add a little. Otherwise the drain/fill plugs on the sump.

Javier
01-08-2006, 10:33 AM
pan shown on figure 4 of the link, nor my pan is that shape. It does have a dip stick in the filling tube (Just as an old Chevrolet).

Javier

Bill R.
01-08-2006, 10:36 AM
gm strassbourg used on the 525's, the 4hp22eh was used on 535s

Here's an article that shows a tranny service on a 4hp22. Hopefully you can identify it.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/E36-Tranny_Fluid_Auto/E36-Tranny_Fluid_Auto.htm

That fact that you have a fill tube makes me almost sure it is a 4hp22. There is a metal tag on the driver side, near the pressure taps, but I'm sure you checked that. You can use the tube for the dipstick to add a little. Otherwise the drain/fill plugs on the sump.

Bill R.
01-08-2006, 10:42 AM
The 4hp22 eh came with a dipstick and the lock up converter makes it feel
almost like a 5th gear. The pan is shaped like thishttp://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/Transpan1%20copy.jpg

Without taking the tranny out, can I tell by the way the sump pan looks or something like that, if it was replaced with a 4hp22?

The reason I ask is it feels like it has 5 gears, which according to Bentley's manual, the 4hp22 has four gears. And it has a dipstick which the manual doesn't mention this model has.

I can take a picture of the sump pan if that would help.

Also, the manual mentions a ATF filler pipe. I assume that's how you add fluid - where is that?

Javier
01-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Actualy, if I run SD or E3, I can feel it holding 3rd (as it does), without much need of going in 4th.

Think I need to drive a little faster to feel it!!!

Javier

tim
01-08-2006, 11:18 AM
Oops, sorry about the link.

Torque
01-08-2006, 06:30 PM
The 4hp22 eh came with a dipstick and the lock up converter makes it feel
almost like a 5th gear.right on. if you are accelerating slowly, you can definitely feel/hear it go into lockup mode which feels like 5th.

I don't think any other e34 tranny can be fitted instead of the 4hp22. The later m50 gm trannies, along with all the ones from 530s and 540s have different bell housings, shape, length etc ...