PDA

View Full Version : Is my clutch going?

onewhippedpuppy
01-07-2006, 11:15 PM
Please say no. When downshifting and accelerating hard, it will slip for a moment unless I feather the throttle. After it slips, the pedal feels really light for a while. Eventually the normal pressure comes back. Otherwise it seems ok, when in gear if I floor it there's no slippage. What are the failure signs of the clutch on our cars? I've never bled the slave cylinder, and it still has the CDV.

Bill R.
01-07-2006, 11:41 PM
restricted than normal.. i'd get rid of it and see if you still have the problem.

Please say no. When downshifting and accelerating hard, it will slip for a moment unless I feather the throttle. After it slips, the pedal feels really light for a while. Eventually the normal pressure comes back. Otherwise it seems ok, when in gear if I floor it there's no slippage. What are the failure signs of the clutch on our cars? I've never bled the slave cylinder, and it still has the CDV.

onewhippedpuppy
01-08-2006, 07:27 AM
Thanks Bill, that makes me feel better. I wasn't happily anticipating spending big bucks on a new clutch. I've been meaning to flush the brake system with ATE Super Blue, sounds like a good time to eliminate the CDV.

Gayle
01-08-2006, 10:22 PM
Clueless question--What is a CDV?

tim
01-08-2006, 10:29 PM
Clueless question--What is a CDV?

Clutch delay valve- (big e39 540im issue)

Heres a good description of what it is in theory and why you would get rid of it
Check it: http://www.zeckhausen.com/CDV.htm

I know it's not from an e34, and I've screwed up all the other links I've given today, so go easy on me Bill.

P.S
no affiliation- just had the link.

-tim

Kalevera
01-08-2006, 10:34 PM
The Clutch Delay Valve.

Designed and installed to release the slave slower and, supposedly, to prevent driveline wear. All it actually does is accelerate it. I'm told that 150k+ used to be typical for a 540 clutch, whereas some claim they only last 60k now. Everyone I know removes them, if installed.

best, whit

Ted K
01-09-2006, 01:53 AM
Is the 540 the only E34 with this CDV? I am not sure my 535 has one!

onewhippedpuppy
01-09-2006, 07:56 AM
The 540 6 speed is the only E34 that I have ever heard of having a CDV.