PDA

View Full Version : remote doesnt work!

ricegyrl
01-07-2006, 07:49 PM
Hi guys, I'm a newbie to this forum. Hahah, anyways, I just got my parent's old 1995 525i BMW, but when they gave me the car with the remote, the remote doesn't work. I know for a fact that when we bought the car it came with the remote. So, I'm assuming it's from the factory itself?

Anyways, I looked over the manual and I don't know how I can fix the remote to make it work again. The batteries are working fine and my uncle just checked under the hood and said the fuses are all fine, any suggestions? Thanks a lot.

Qsilver7
01-07-2006, 08:03 PM
if the remote fob has been dropped or "man"-handled...the chip inside may have come dislodged. This happened to someone one not to long ago. If you open the remote fob, you can check it and if its loose...re-seat the chip.

The keyless entry system has a seperate booklet and isn't really explained in much detail in the owners manual. I have the BMW/Alpine keyless entry instructions on my cardomain site...check it out...then check the chip in your remote: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/739005/3

(here's an example of one of three pages you should read & check out about the transmitter microchip replacement at link posted above...(#2) is the chip holder and probably has come loose)

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/739000-739999/739005_25_full.jpg

Russell
01-07-2006, 09:59 PM
I hould have carefully read your question. The remote has a battery that should be replaced about once a year or so. In fact you should have two remotes if your family originally purchased the car.

ricegyrl
01-09-2006, 07:44 PM
i have secured the chip in but it still doesn't work. any other suggestions?

mpirie
01-10-2006, 03:35 AM
Hi, I'm not sure about US cars, but have you checked that the alarm system has not been disabled under the bonnet? You can switch the alarm system off with the small key. Some people do this when the car won't be used for a while. Other than that, you can supply the alarm serial number to some suppliers, and they can programme a new fob to the correct frequency.

mikell
01-10-2006, 11:24 AM
Did you re-program the system? Check out the site QSilver listed. It's easy to do, and a stealer would charge you lots to do it for you.

calmloki
01-10-2006, 11:40 AM
My aftermarket (Pro-Tek) alarm remote wasn't working when I got the car - replaced the battery in the fob and found that the red indicator LED stayed on, but wouldn't lock/unlock the doors. Played with it for a while and finally sprayed the inner workings including the micro switches liberally with tv contact cleaner. It now works, so I have keyless entry (Yay!) and alarm (which I dislike). YMMV.
Tom Walrod

ld06000
01-13-2006, 08:52 AM
Hi

I own a "french" 525tds 1992 with an alarm System I (82-11-9-401-487) one year ago it worked but I do not like the bips of the alarm and use only the key. Now I want to sell it and I have tried to use the remote but I have been able to lock the car once then it didn't work. I replaced the battery and tried again: no change. The LED is on and blinks rapidly as usual but nothing happen. I have checked the antenna under the rear seats. I even check with an oscilloscop the signal from the remote : it seems to be alive... May be I need to reinitialize the system... but I don't know how to proceed... The only documentations I have found are for the infrared remote. Mine is a radio one with only one button....
Thanks in advance for you help!

Laurent
France