PDA

View Full Version : ABS Light comes on after driving a while..

Barry
01-07-2006, 08:54 AM
It started while on a 700km trip..After 200 odd kay`s the ABS light came on and would not extinguish until reset via the ign. key.
Coming back from my holiday,same thing..
Today it came on after 10km..

Can you guys point me in some direction??

Ive checked for dirt around the sensors,but thats all..

Also searched the forum,but nothing related to what my cars doing..

Thanks,Barry

tim
01-07-2006, 09:16 AM
Did you actually remove the speed sensors and clean them?
It could be the module. Get the error code. If you get a speed sensor code, and then verify the sensor function, that means its the module.

I just had a module rehabbed by this guy: http://www.modulemaster.com/

I removed it, sent it to him, drove it w/o abs while it was gone, then put it back on.

Barry
01-07-2006, 09:30 AM
Tim,no,did not actually remove them..
I have spare modules for Africa,so will plug another in and see..
Thanks for the reply...

tim
01-07-2006, 11:33 AM
Heat is the main culprit in module failure. Gradually the solder connections varnish and crack, and the wires for the input and output stages get a patina. Eventually the wires blacken and turn to dust. Your symptoms line up perfectly with what e39'ers from '99 report (where there is a known defect in the module)- gradual onset, came on while on a long trip, getting worse, etc. Just don't buy any speed sensors until you can try the swap. I blew $200 before I figured out it was the module. I know you have a different model, but the symptoms suggest a common root. You may get lucky and just have a dirty sensor. When I lived in Texas, we had a lightning strike nearby. The next day my car threw a trans prog code. Like a month later, I finally figured out the egs had fried out. Modules are static sensitive and as they age they become somewhat unpredictable.

BTW, you can just undo the torx screws and remove the module. Theres no science really, just remember that it is static sensitive. Cover the brake interface with tinfoil and tape and the connector harness in a baggie with a rubberband to secure it. If you need to drive it like this your brakes will be functional, but without ABS, just like old times.

shogun
01-07-2006, 11:51 AM
Go to my website below, scroll down almost to the end, there is a link to ABS faults and remedies for various models.

Barry
01-08-2006, 01:22 AM
Thanks again,Tim,Shogun...