PDA

View Full Version : headlight washer question: plumbing the 2nd tank

Elekta
01-06-2006, 04:40 PM
cant seem to figure out how to plumb the second tank. There is no filler neck and two fittings that could be made into supply and vent, but was wondering if anyone else made this mod on a v8. It's the last thing left on my repair and I don't want to have to remove the bumper cover after the shop had mounted it and made it all perfect.

also, my fuse/relay panel is all in german. any idea which slot the intensive washer relay goes in?

thanks in advance.

geoff

M5 bumper from a 91 with washer system going into a 3.0 530iT

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
01-06-2006, 06:15 PM
cant seem to figure out how to plumb the second tank. There is no filler neck and two fittings that could be made into supply and vent, but was wondering if anyone else made this mod on a v8. It's the last thing left on my repair and I don't want to have to remove the bumper cover after the shop had mounted it and made it all perfect.

also, my fuse/relay panel is all in german. any idea which slot the intensive washer relay goes in?

thanks in advance.

geoff

M5 bumper from a 91 with washer system going into a 3.0 530iT

My '91 M5 only has one honking big 8.5L tank behind the passenger headlights. Maybe that would be your best option. It has both the windscreen and headlamp washer motors separately installed.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD93&mospid=47412&btnr=61_0018&hg=61&fg=45

Elekta
01-06-2006, 06:38 PM
I got that tank too with the bumpers, but it doesn't fit. It's totally in the way of the air box, which the second tank (for V8's) slips nicely under.

Anyone have a pic of the relay panel in english?

Jr ///M5
01-06-2006, 09:10 PM
I looked at the ETK on real oem and looked up your car. '94 530 Euro Touring. Is this the diagram you're looking for? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HK21&mospid=47397&btnr=61_0082&hg=61&fg=45
If not, maybe I didn't understand your question correctly. Now I'm trying to think if the Euro and the US relay panels are the same?

Hope this helps somewhat...
Jr

Jr ///M5
01-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Now that I look at it, this might be the one you're after.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HK21&mospid=47397&btnr=61_0056&hg=61&fg=45

Jr ///M5
01-06-2006, 09:33 PM
I think this link might be able to help you with the relay location. It's in English, but I can't be 100% positive if both the US and Euro share the same electrical layout. It's worth a look. Hope it helps you.

http://www.carsoft.ru/avtorepair/bmw_e34/0670.0/index.html

Jr

Elekta
01-06-2006, 10:57 PM
thanks for the carsoft link. That should help.

I have printed the second realoem link and bought all the parts related to the the second tank, but you will see that it does not have a filler neck and there is no plumbing parts to get water from the bigger tank to it.

Jr ///M5
01-06-2006, 11:39 PM
The smaller tank uses the intensive washer fluid, it looks like there is a small filler next to the mounting screw bracket at the top of the tank.

Intensive washer fluid is sold in small bottles and in some parts of the country it's illegal to use it straight out of the bottle, it must be cut with water. Imagine what it does to your wax job!

Lori has the headlight washers and intensive cleaning on the windshield on her 2001 525, I use the intensive washer solution straight out of the bottle into the small container. I do not dilute it with water around this part of the country because of the dirty road conditons in wintertime. The undiluted concentrate cleans the headlamps and windshield like you wouldn't believe!

Jr

Paul in NZ
01-07-2006, 05:54 AM
yeah its great in the winter here when you get that film on the windscreen 1 routine and its gone..mines broken must get to it.Hopefully its just the pump

Elekta
01-07-2006, 10:44 AM
The smaller tank uses the intensive washer fluid, it looks like there is a small filler next to the mounting screw bracket at the top of the tank.

Intensive washer fluid is sold in small bottles and in some parts of the country it's illegal to use it straight out of the bottle, it must be cut with water. Imagine what it does to your wax job!

Lori has the headlight washers and intensive cleaning on the windshield on her 2001 525, I use the intensive washer solution straight out of the bottle into the small container. I do not dilute it with water around this part of the country because of the dirty road conditons in wintertime. The undiluted concentrate cleans the headlamps and windshield like you wouldn't believe!

Jr

OK, so I need to nix connnecting the two tanks together. That makes more sense. I didn't realize that the fluids would be different.

Does the bentley have anything on this installation?

Paul in NZ
01-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Bentley is pretty thin on all aspects of headlight/intensive wash system.I wonder if the stealer can help,cos i note in the etk that these can be installed retrospectively as a kit,maybe there are bulletins or something in the tis??
I hope the hoses for the headlight washers are in the bumper cause i am pretty sure thats where they run,and the intensive clean fluid hoses hook into them too i think via valvesMy understanding of the sytem is that when you do the intensive clean the headlights get a blast of fluid otherwise they get washed every fifth windscreen wash

OK, so I need to nix connnecting the two tanks together. That makes more sense. I didn't realize that the fluids would be different.

Does the bentley have anything on this installation?