PDA

View Full Version : SRS light - manual reset necessary?

salansky
01-06-2006, 11:50 AM
I have an issue with my SRS wiring that causes the light to kick on regularly. I have my indy usually reset it during oil changes by cleaning out the passenger seatbelt plug that seems to be tripping it. Well, I don't plan on taking it in anytime soon and want to give it a whirl myself. Does anyone have an exploded view for me to see before I dig into it?
Also, does anyone know if this thing has to be reset by a rest-tool or if it will just sense connectivty during the next restart and not trigger the SRS light?

Thanks,
-jack
1995 540im

tim
01-06-2006, 12:00 PM
You need a special reset scanner for the srs, or a dealer. My 1996 version of Carsoft 3.2 will clear the code, but if its a true fault, it'll come back on. Unfortunately, mine does not diagnose the fault. It can be alot of things, but usually it's the passenger sensor or a chaffed wire under the seat. Does your SRS light stay on, or does it go off after 30 seconds?

salansky
01-06-2006, 01:01 PM
Hi Tim,
Thanks for your information.
Yes, the light stays on always. I was told the exact same thing from my indy - that it was a chaffed wire or something. I guess he said that it's an extremely sensitive sensor and that a mV change will trip it. He has not had time to find anything since he's usually doing 20 other more important things to my car while it's there. I might take a stab at finding a bad wire since it's already tripped. Last time he swabbed out the plug where he said there was some goo and reset it. That lasted just a few months.
I hate having that screaming red light glaring at me every day....makes me feel like white trash driving a beater..
-jack

tim
01-06-2006, 02:33 PM
Yeah, when it stays on like that it's usually an active fault, but it doesn't necessarily mean your airbag is a goner. It's not the end of the world to chase the wire down if you're handy with a multimeter. 'Course if you had the computer like the stealer does...well...anyway, if the light is killing you, you could always fork it over to the man for a wallet adjustment.

The first and easiest place is the thingee in the seat belt buckle receivers. Spray some electrical contact cleaner in there, I mean, WTF, it can't hurt. Even if you track it to that, you'll still need the code cleared after you fix it. But the light should go out after 30 sec. on startup. Do a search on SRS there's tons in there, and I'll check my files, as I remember Bill R once printed something from the TIS about this.