PDA

View Full Version : Jeff N, and Martin, could i ask a favor of you guys?

Bill R.
01-06-2006, 10:21 AM
Could i get each of you to do write up of your respective , afm,mas, maf solutions with the various steps that you can remember and any data that you may have gathered so far... I am thinking that i'm going to start running into these and it would be nice to have all the knowledge that you guys have already done all the hard work on... If you could mail me whatever you come up with I'd be in your debt

Thanks

Martin in Bellevue
01-06-2006, 12:17 PM
It is in the works, Bill. I am looking for a decent source for an external intake air temp sensor.

535ise
01-06-2006, 03:43 PM
I am looking for a decent source for an external intake air temp sensor.

Is this any good for you ?

http://emeraldm3d.com/em_pricing.html

Jeff N.
01-06-2006, 03:45 PM
I am thinking that i'm going to start running into these and it would be nice to have all the knowledge that you guys have already done all the hard work on

Running into these? On what my friend? I think Martin and I have just about the only setups we know of. And, as much as we'd love to putter around in your garage, distance has worked it's evils...

Please enlighten me as I'm confused!

Bill R.
01-06-2006, 05:18 PM
type afm thats used on most early japanese cars and volvo's, and since i'm seeing alot more talk from various people regarding getting rid of the flowmeter i thought a little more knowledge in general as to the setups wouldn't hurt. I haven't had anybody come in with one yet though. Not just bmw specific though as far as the application. But the problems you're running into would still apply to others.

Running into these? On what my friend? I think Martin and I have just about the only setups we know of. And, as much as we'd love to putter around in your garage, distance has worked it's evils...

Please enlighten me as I'm confused!

Jeff N.
01-06-2006, 07:51 PM
...short of a full writeup which I think can be done at some point, the issue is really simple. Mapping.

You have to custom program the MAF or MAP unit's signal to the ECU such that the ECU sends the right fuel pulse for that amount of air. The map is basically translation table that converts the raw sensor signal into a voltage that replaces the vane air meter signal. The ECU knows what the right voltage answer is to get the fuel pulse right, you just need to figure that out.

Each black box seems to have a different approach. Mine is a voltage in - voltage out table. Martin's split-sec is more a variance approach (IIR) and has a both RPM and pressure axis'. Touchy stuff. I'm "tuning" at voltage change levels of 1/100 of a volt to fine tune my mixture.

Get the voltage signals right - works like a charm. Not right...uh...hating life.

A canned solution for a particular motor would be plug and play. Our kits are more of a white sheet approach that requires you to start from scratch.

Is this this sort of insight that you were thinking of? What more can we share short of actual configuration specs?

Bill R.
01-06-2006, 11:42 PM
hardware pieces needed and what seems to work the best and what doesn't work. The basic handbook in other words, the mapping seems to be the lesser detail, its the hardware combinations and the changes you have to make to cure basic problems or pieces that didn't work so well.

...short of a full writeup which I think can be done at some point, the issue is really simple. Mapping.

You have to custom program the MAF or MAP unit's signal to the ECU such that the ECU sends the right fuel pulse for that amount of air. The map is basically translation table that converts the raw sensor signal into a voltage that replaces the vane air meter signal. The ECU knows what the right voltage answer is to get the fuel pulse right, you just need to figure that out.

Each black box seems to have a different approach. Mine is a voltage in - voltage out table. Martin's split-sec is more a variance approach (IIR) and has a both RPM and pressure axis'. Touchy stuff. I'm "tuning" at voltage change levels of 1/100 of a volt to fine tune my mixture.

Get the voltage signals right - works like a charm. Not right...uh...hating life.

A canned solution for a particular motor would be plug and play. Our kits are more of a white sheet approach that requires you to start from scratch.

Is this this sort of insight that you were thinking of? What more can we share short of actual configuration specs?

Jeff N.
01-08-2006, 09:57 PM
...He's Curley to my Moe.

hardware pieces needed and what seems to work the best and what doesn't work. The basic handbook in other words, the mapping seems to be the lesser detail, its the hardware combinations and the changes you have to make to cure basic problems or pieces that didn't work so well.