PDA

View Full Version : At the risk of being yelled at to use the search button.......

Zeuk in Oz
01-06-2006, 01:04 AM
Very sorry Jeff, I promise I have spent hours searching before asking this question Jeff, it won't happen again Jeff, very sorry Jeff.........

A rare thread for me - not OT ! :p

I am in the process of replacing my radiator - '88 525i 5 speed. When the head gasket blew recently (didn't overheat) the repair to the neck of the radiator where the top hose connects finally gave up the ghost.

Sons numbers 1 & 2 are currently getting lessons in motor mechanics as we slowly approach removal of the head and associated stuff. Quality time with the kids ! :D I must say they are really enjoying it ! You can all expect many more questions from me as we continue on our quest.

I decided to tackle it to teach the kids a bit and also because my mechanic couldn't do it for a month or so ! I've always got a car trailer and can take it to him with my tail between my legs if we don't succeed ! :D

Having read at great length just about every post I can search for on this forum, I still have a fundamental question : Do I buy a Behr or a Nissens radiator - which is stronger at that crucial top hose connection.

I have read at great length Shogun's post promoting the Behr, but it would seem that the M20 radiator has slightly different shortcomings compared with most other motors.

Thus currently I am leaning towards the Nissens as a couple of threads commented on their reinforced neck being better than on the Behr. Is this so ?

Unfortunately I cannot look at them to compare so I am posting this in the hope that someone can put me straight. I will be ordering whichever from BMA and will be getting it sent to Oz.

Sorry Jeff, I won't allow it to happen again Jeff.........................

Bill R.
01-06-2006, 01:10 AM
I've seen the behr with the reinforced metal in the neck still break, and i've
put a number of nissen's in and haven't had to warranty one yet.. so i'd make it a tossup.

Very sorry Jeff, I promise I have spent hours searching before asking this question Jeff, it won't happen again Jeff, very sorry Jeff.........

I am in the process of replacing my radiator - '88 525i 5 speed. When the head gasket blew recently (didn't overheat) the repair to the neck of the radiator where the top hose connects finally gave up the ghost.

Sons numbers 1 & 2 are currently getting lessons in motor mechanics as we slowly approach removal of the head and associated stuff. Quality time with the kids ! :D I must say they are really enjoying it ! You can all expect many more questions from me as we continue on our quest.

I decided to tackle it to teach the kids a bit and also because my mechanic couldn't do it for a month or so ! I've always got a car trailer and can take it to him with my tail between my legs if we don't succeed ! :D

Having read at great length just about every post I can search for on this forum, I still have a fundamental question : Do I buy a Behr or a Nissens radiator - which is stronger at that crucial top hose connection.

I have read at great length Shogun's post promoting the Behr, but it would seem that the M20 radiator has slightly different shortcomings compared with most other motors.

Thus currently I am leaning towards the Nissens as a couple of threads commented on their reinforced neck being better than on the Behr. Is this so ?

Unfortunately I cannot look at them to compare so I am posting this in the hope that someone can put me straight. I will be ordering whichever from BMA and will be getting it sent to Oz.

shogun
01-06-2006, 01:18 AM
O.K., my own experience:
1 Behr: 4 years, then it was leaking, but not at the usual place but in the middle somewhere. Maybe just a stone hit it. Do not think it was the material.

2nd Behr: from 1994-10/2005, leak occured slightly at the typical place left upper side.

3rd one Behr: pls ask me in another > 5 years :)

The defective last one I will ask a japanese radiator shop here to modify to complete aluminium version with the rest of the original core. Will keep it as spare.
BUT, that is not really economical, the mod costs me about the same as a new radiator.
So what I said about Nissens, is not my own experience, I just read it on Johan's page and by some comments on the German board. But also there the opinions are divided.

632 Regal
01-06-2006, 02:22 AM
Zeuk I already said your exempt to the search rule, even the regulars are using the search link I provided.

as posted, its a luck of the draw on your engine/car combination. I would advise a later manufacturer as to an outdated over stock type of situation.

Zeuk in Oz
01-06-2006, 02:31 AM
Bill R - Thanks for your input : that was much as I expected to hear - its just so frustrating when you can't just go and look at one.

Erich - Thanks also for your input : I realise that some products are better in some models than others - still undecided in this case.

Jeff - Thanks also for your input : my local radiator bloke was trying to sell me a no-name product for AUD $ 465 ( = US $ 350 )without being able to tell me where it was manufactured or by whom. BMA has the Nissens for US $ 153.52 plus freight, duty etc . I think I will go that route.

632 Regal
01-06-2006, 02:36 AM
you will at least get a later manufacturer date than something old and outdated...plus you save. Im glad you did your research man.

uscharalph
01-06-2006, 04:05 AM

I put a Nissens in my M20.

Paul in NZ
01-06-2006, 05:13 AM
how much will the freight be,or post it up when you do,my radiator is showing signs of giving up,slight residues of antifreeze.......

Zeuk in Oz
01-06-2006, 07:33 PM
how much will the freight be,or post it up when you do,my radiator is showing signs of giving up,slight residues of antifreeze.......
I'm not sure yet Paul as I am waiting to order a few more things at once, but will let you know!

Zeuk in Oz
01-09-2006, 05:25 PM
Paul : Ordered my radiator from Patrick at BMA this morning.

His freight programme was down but he estimates about US $ 60 on top of the US $141 he quoted me for the radiator.

This means approx $201 US delivered plus any duty etc.

Say roughly AUD $300, I would guess.

Will let you know when I get it and have final figures.