PDA

View Full Version : any1 tried this HID conversion kit?

shogun
01-05-2006, 01:55 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8025503521
No "low beam" message on the OBC.

Read this from Bimmerboard:

Hi all, just wanted to throw my 2 cents into the discussion regarding aftermarket HID conversion kits. I just completed a conversion in the E34 (1995 530i) tonight and wanted to share some thoughts on the issue of the "low beam" message on the OBC. I am happy to report that the conversion kit I used, as recommended by others on the E38 forum, does NOT have this message display. Believe me, I was very worried about having to find a fix if it should appear.

The ballast is a brand called PILOT (with a red lightning bolt in a black triangle) You can see this in one of the pictures in auction link below, which coincidently is the actual auction and price I paid, rather reasonable I think. The integrated ballast/ignitor has a little LED which per others opinion creates the right resistance to convince the OBC/LKM that a bulb is present.

Anyway, hope this helps anyone thinking of doing that conversion. Now that I have them installed, I have to say I am very impressed with the increase in intensity and visibility.

One change I would make is to reduce the temperature color from my 8000K to 4500K or 5500K. The 8000K is not BLUE persay, but does certainly hint to it. The lower color temps would be whiter in color.

Lastly, there was one bit of complication in the install. In the E34 530i, where the hell can I mount the damn ballasts? I temporarily mounted each side with velcro to whatever I could attach to of reasonable firmness. Finding solid metal serface to mount them was not practical at night using a flashlight, so hopefully I get better inspiration tomorrow. Anyone have any suggestions from your own install?
---------------------------------------------------------
Does anyone know how much a spare bulb will cost?
http://wusautogroup.com/hid/DSC02033.JPG

bahnstormer
01-05-2006, 04:18 PM
i currently have some resistors wired in to get rid of the message, but
they get very hot very quickly....

Boost Infection
01-05-2006, 07:54 PM
I have the relay set-up to get rid of my low-beam error

Qube
01-05-2006, 09:02 PM
I just plugged them im and no error :| Mounting is easy.

hakwuzhere
01-05-2006, 09:11 PM
I just got a set of Umnitza Projector34's for my 92 525i... this kit is about $40 cheaper than thiers.... does anyone have any experiance with the Umnitza HID kits? Low beam errors? or no?

bahnstormer
01-06-2006, 11:32 AM
all depends on the way the ballast is setup

Ken21
01-06-2006, 12:03 PM
hi....any photos of your setup ???

thanks