PDA

View Full Version : 1992 525i 5spd - engine stalls

umper
01-05-2006, 12:22 PM
Need diagnostic help!
While excelerating and usually in the process of shifting from 1st into 2nd gear, the engine stalls, the engine light comes on for a moment. Because I am in the process of shifting, the engine jump starts itself.
What is causing the stalling? Pretty scary, especially while entering traffic.
Does not stall every time, but is getting more frequent.
Is this an Electrical or Fuel problem? or Something else?

Umper

dacoyote
01-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Need diagnostic help!
While excelerating and usually in the process of shifting from 1st into 2nd gear, the engine stalls, the engine light comes on for a moment. Because I am in the process of shifting, the engine jump starts itself.

Umper

Yes....

Did you change anything... tell us a little more about the history of the car....

DaCan23
01-05-2006, 12:32 PM
Bad ground somewhere... or bad altenator... or bad ECM.... Theres a bunch of main grounds, so you should check them all for corrosion & tightness

Need diagnostic help!

Umper

632 Regal
01-05-2006, 01:12 PM
the mounts could be trashed too

Brandon J
01-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Need diagnostic help!

Umper

Are you sure it's not a bad guibo or bad half shaft. That can cause the stall of power to the ground and then a big jump as the engine and rear wheels catch up to each other. Do a search for half shaft replacement for how to check of a bad rear axle half shaft. The problem is usually less prominent or noticeable at higher speeds.

umper
01-05-2006, 03:48 PM
Yes....

Did you change anything... tell us a little more about the history of the car....
Have not changed anything in the last six months other than some hoses and a fan guard and front shocks. Has been very dependable over the last 3 years or so. Has approximately 265,000 miles on car.

umper
01-05-2006, 03:50 PM
Will check out those possible bad grounds and let you know what happens.
Thanks

umper
01-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Will also in turn check out that possibility and reply.
Thanks

pyro
01-05-2006, 04:01 PM
mabe idle controll? How does it idle when your in nutural?