PDA

View Full Version : Performance chip problems

pyro
01-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Hey yesterday i installd a performance chip and it worked fine and now today i have a check engine light.
1211 DME Control Unit thats what the 5 stomp test shows. The car still runs fine and everything jsut has the check engine light. So what im wondering is should i put my stock chip back in or just leave it the way it is.

Jeff N.
01-05-2006, 11:48 AM
...and where did you get it?

Hey yesterday i installd a performance chip and it worked fine and now today i have a check engine light. thats what the 5 stomp test shows. The car still runs fine and everything jsut has the check engine light. So what im wondering is should i put my stock chip back in or just leave it the way it is.

pyro
01-05-2006, 03:50 PM
ebay... but my firend got the same one and hans't had problems for over a year... I mean the car runs, and is faster than it was before. So the chip is working but im deciding did i do something while installing it to make the CEL come on or can the chip to that? And can it hurt the car if i leave it in?

DaCan23
01-05-2006, 03:51 PM
What brand chip?

ebay... but my firend got the same one and hans't had problems for over a year... I mean the car runs, and is faster than it was before. So the chip is working but im deciding did i do something while installing it to make the CEL come on or can the chip to that? And can it hurt the car if i leave it in?

632 Regal
01-05-2006, 03:53 PM
did you try to reboot it yet?

DaCan23
01-05-2006, 04:01 PM
http://bagekko.home.comcast.net/dacans_pictures/homer_reboot.jpg

did you try to reboot it yet?

dacoyote
01-05-2006, 04:02 PM
I see a new Jeff Sig....

DaCan23
01-05-2006, 04:04 PM
Nah I quickly hacked his pic real quick, hence the crap job, but actually it looks kinda funky lettering over lettering... thought it was funny... sure he wont like it though

I see a new Jeff Sig....

dacoyote
01-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Nah I quickly hacked his pic real quick, hence the crap job, but actually it looks kinda funky lettering over lettering... thought it was funny... sure he wont like it though

he may not... but I bet if you ran a search for "did you try to reboot it" Jeff would be the number one person posting it.

DaCan23
01-05-2006, 04:08 PM
He must be in the little boys room cause its been over 5 mins and he hasnt yelled at me yet

he may not... but I bet if you ran a search for "did you try to reboot it" Jeff would be the number one person posting it.

632 Regal
01-05-2006, 04:09 PM
idonno bout you guys but thats a miricle fix for my car, I have needed new O2 sensors at least a dozen times and a quick reboot fixes them every time, once I finish the front intake gasket them codes should dissapear forever.

pyro
01-05-2006, 04:24 PM
reboot as in leave ecu unpluged overnight? or that one thing where you touch the battrie cables together w/ ignition in position 2. i have a feeling that won't work because i cleard the codes by holding the gas pedle down for 10 secconds (car off) and it came back 3 starts later.

dacoyote
01-05-2006, 04:27 PM
idonno bout you guys but thats a miricle fix for my car, I have needed new O2 sensors at least a dozen times and a quick reboot fixes them every time, once I finish the front intake gasket them codes should dissapear forever.

rebooting works good...

pyro
01-05-2006, 04:30 PM
well define reboot... batrie cables crossed with key in position 2 or computer unpluged over night?

DaCan23
01-05-2006, 04:33 PM
It's disconnect battery cables... wait for residual power to drain outta the system, can accomplish this by turning on hazards for a few mins. The w/ no key in and nothing on, connect the battery cables together and leave like that for a while (exact time varies by opinion, I did 30 min)... make sure it doesnt touch the terminals of course.... and then hook the battery back up.

http://bagekko.home.comcast.net/dacans_pictures/homer_reboot.jpg

well define reboot... batrie cables crossed with key in position 2 or computer unpluged over night?

dacoyote
01-05-2006, 04:33 PM

Shogun Reboot.....

632 Regal
01-05-2006, 05:40 PM
you have it right Pyro.
Shogun Reboot.....

Alexlind123
01-05-2006, 05:43 PM
I prefer to leave the battery unhooked overnight without touching any terminals together. Imo, and with limited electrical knowledge, i would say that 12 hours is enough for any capacitative charge would be drained and that touching the terminals may not be as "gentle" as just levaing them off for awhile. Im sure either method works.

The car is not "reset" by clearing the codes, but it seems to me that you would have disconnected the battery to swap the new chip in? Maybe not, but thats what i would have expected. Anyways, good luck with your new chip and cel.