PDA

View Full Version : Red Check Engine Light Stays On

caqueenslace
01-05-2006, 09:50 AM
Hi Folks,

I haven't had any bimmer issues in awhile so I haven't been on here to search for advice from you experts.

Happy New Year!

I was excellerating onto the on ramp of the highway this morning and my red check engine light came on. Of course red always means to me to stop and shut off the car. I did and checked the oil. I was down just about the lower line. So my husband said drive it carefully to the closest place you can get oil.

Did that, one quart took it up over the first line. So no oil issues. The car has been running fine except a couple weeks ago it had a very very slight hesitation but it seemed to clear up. We got gas from a place not regular for us so that could of been the issue. The other thing I know I'm going to have to replace in the near future is the fuel pump. At 100K we replaced the first one and I'm familar with the humm they make. It's starting to make it again. And it's at just below 170K now.

I know the owners manual states it's an emissions light not related to the oil. Could the slow death of the fuel pump cause this light to come on and stay on. I've only driven it about 20 miles with the light remaining on.

Who knows. I'm going to drive it to see if it goes out. Because I understand the system is designed to have the light go out when the problem goes away. So we'll wait on it.

In the mean time I would like to learn how to do this "stomp test". Can anyone bullet for me how to accomplish this to get the code?

Thanks for all your help you all have help me keep my bimmer in tip top shape.

By the way it's a 95 525i.

Regards,
Denise
KY:)

dacoyote
01-05-2006, 09:54 AM
http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Trouble/Engine_codes.htm

Rus
01-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Have your fuel pressure checked if you suspect a fuel pump failure. Mine would throw a 1222 (Lambda Control 1) code with fuel pressure that was nearly half of what it should have been. Also serious hesitation and rough idle were present. Just my $.02

ra_pro
01-05-2006, 10:23 AM
A common cause of engine light coming on is that the O2 sensor(s) needs to be checked replaced. Even with the O2 sensor not being fully in spec the car often doesn't have any other symptoms and can be driven without any issues. Eventually the idle gets rough and the sensors need to be changed.

caqueenslace
01-05-2006, 10:33 AM
http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Trouble/Engine_codes.htm

Hi there,

Is this link the "stomp test"?

Thanks,

Denise
KY:p

caqueenslace
01-05-2006, 10:35 AM
A common cause of engine light coming on is that the O2 sensor(s) needs to be checked replaced. Even with the O2 sensor not being fully in spec the car often doesn't have any other symptoms and can be driven without any issues. Eventually the idle gets rough and the sensors need to be changed.

Ya know, the car has had a small hesitation and it also has a rough start as well but on very occasional. Depends on the temperature outside.

I will have my husband complete the stomp test, change the O2 sensor, and check fuel pressure.

Thanks so much and we'll let you know after the weekend what is up with it.

Regards,

Denise
KY;)

billb
01-05-2006, 10:36 AM
Hi there,

Thanks,

Denise

1. Turn the ignition key on (without starting the car) and depress the accelerator pedal to the floor 5 times within 5 seconds.
2. The check engine light will remain lit for 5 seconds, blink off, light for 2.5 seconds, goes off for 2.5 sec. and will start flashing the codes.
3. Each code is separated by a 2.5 sec. pause. A 0.5 sec. blink then nothing means the end of the code reading. To read them again, depress the accelerator pedal 5 times again.

Read the entire article.

dacoyote
01-05-2006, 10:36 AM
Hi there,

Thanks,

Denise

Yeah, the page talks about how to do the test

dacoyote
01-05-2006, 10:37 AM
.... Read the entire article.

Why would we wanta do that :-)

Post stealer....

632 Regal
01-05-2006, 11:51 AM
you might want to just reboot the computers before aimlessly replacing parts, the reboot will erase any codes so get them first then reboot. If the light comes back on after reboot check that code, should be more accurate.

caqueenslace
01-05-2006, 12:08 PM
you might want to just reboot the computers before aimlessly replacing parts, the reboot will erase any codes so get them first then reboot. If the light comes back on after reboot check that code, should be more accurate.

A reboot is just unhook both +/- on the battery correct?

dacoyote
01-05-2006, 12:15 PM
A reboot is just unhook both +/- on the battery correct?

yeah.... search for shogun reboot for a "faster" way to do it

DaCan23
01-05-2006, 12:26 PM
but dont EVER do a search for all posts by 632 Regal.... because that would crash the server...

http://www.mye34.org/images/jeff/homer_search.jpg

yeah.... search for shogun reboot for a "faster" way to do it

dacoyote
01-05-2006, 12:29 PM
I should get jeff to change his post... then I could change to image to something else....

like tubgirl (google it)... I would suggest after you have had lunch....

632 Regal
01-05-2006, 12:33 PM
do NOT google that and then click images....sick stuff dude!

dacoyote
01-05-2006, 12:35 PM
do NOT google that and then click images....sick stuff dude!

how about lemonparty....

632 Regal
01-05-2006, 12:41 PM
where you get this stuff?

DaCan23
01-05-2006, 12:43 PM
you know how on AIM when you send too many msgs in a given period it locks you out for a bit.... well I think Ed has something setup like that... so pace yourself on the way to GM

how about lemonparty....

dacoyote
01-05-2006, 12:50 PM
where you get this stuff?

Because I work in IT.... either users get it and the spam filter sees it...

or my coworkers sent it to me...

dacoyote
01-05-2006, 12:50 PM
you know how on AIM when you send too many msgs in a given period it locks you out for a bit.... well I think Ed has something setup like that... so pace yourself on the way to GM

Could be.....

632 Regal
01-05-2006, 01:09 PM
im a good example of how to pace yourself...lol

dacoyote
01-05-2006, 01:19 PM
im a good example of how to pace yourself...lol
ROFL

caqueenslace
01-05-2006, 03:59 PM
but dont EVER do a search for all posts by 632 Regal.... because that would crash the server...

http://www.mye34.org/images/jeff/homer_search.jpg

LOL!

caqueenslace
01-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Something happened to this post had to redo.

I completed the stomp test. Took me about seven times to get it to work.

This is what it did for me.

Light on less then 5 seconds.
Light off 2.5 seconds
light on 2.5 seconds
light off 2.5 seconds
light flashed twice .5 sec each
light off 2.5 seconds
light off 2.5 seconds
light on .5 second
Light off 2.5 seconds

Cycle started all over again.

I then completed the car code display instructs and this is what it gave me.

BMW NR 8361730
Code NR 0000
K-Zahl 7296
FGNR GK52117
SW Vers. 1.01
And Indx 37

What next??

632 Regal
01-05-2006, 04:16 PM
code 1221, think thats O2 sensor... any air leaks can throw the code, inspect the complete intake system for leaks and fix...then reboot

Light off 2.5 seconds
light on 2.5 seconds
light off 2.5 seconds
light off 2.5 seconds
light off 2.5 seconds
light on .5 second
Light off 2.5 seconds

BMW NR 8361730
Code NR 0000
K-Zahl 7296
FGNR GK52117
SW Vers. 1.01
And Indx 37

What next??

DaCan23
01-05-2006, 04:16 PM
I think that equals code 1221.... O2 sensor one... After the initial on then off, you count the blinks as a number, and the pause as next digit

Light off 2.5 seconds
light on 2.5 seconds
light off 2.5 seconds
light off 2.5 seconds
light off 2.5 seconds
light on .5 second
Light off 2.5 seconds

BMW NR 8361730
Code NR 0000
K-Zahl 7296
FGNR GK52117
SW Vers. 1.01
And Indx 37

What next??

caqueenslace
01-05-2006, 04:25 PM
Dah, now I get it....I was looking for it to give me a number on the display.

LOL!

Gotch ya.

Thanks All. I will let you know what happens.

DaCan23
01-05-2006, 04:27 PM
Hears a link to Brunos page that details the stuff

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/engine_codes.htm

Dah, now I get it....I was looking for it to give me a number on the display.

LOL!

Gotch ya.

Thanks All. I will let you know what happens.

caqueenslace
01-09-2006, 02:17 PM
It was definitely an air intake leak. The hose on top of engine was totaled.
THANKS!!

I went through the link you sent me and I searched the forum on the Shogun reboot but it still states to disconnect the battery in all the instructs I found.

Someone was telling me there was an easier way. Can you help me find where to look. I used shogun in my search as well.

Also, I am following your instructs on how to clear the code but it will not work for me.

I can do the stomp test everytime now but still reads a 1221 even after it was fixed.

Can you reboot the system without clearing the code? Will it clear them?

caqueenslace
01-09-2006, 02:21 PM
Forget that question on the reboot and clear code. I continued searching and found that YES it does clear the code.

I may need a new O2 sensor. That hose was mutilated!!

632 Regal
01-09-2006, 02:29 PM
do the reboot first, forget about the O2 sensor, you may get another o2 code before everything gets back to normal (might have to reboot 2x)

hope the intake gaskets and all are good.