PDA

View Full Version : Dim Instrument Panel

Kobe Diesel
01-04-2006, 08:33 PM
Hello all, newbie here, trying to get started on my project but tackling one odd problem at the moment.

The instrument panel is so dim I can hardly see the odometer and trip readings, same with other indicators on the panel.

My question - is there a single light bulb used to illuminate the entire panel, individual bulbs, or fibre optic?

Any tips on repairing this item?

TIA

Tim

Kalevera
01-04-2006, 09:01 PM
There are lots of bulbs; check http://www.bmwe34.net for a writeup on replacement or do a search on the forum.

There's a dimmer switch next to the headlight switch, though...

best, whit

SRR2
01-05-2006, 12:51 AM
Lots of bulbs that can darken considerably with age, especially in the ODO and gear selector if you have an auto. Whit is right about pulling the cluster out. If your '89 is like mine, you will have to take off the wheel and lower the column to get it out. Mine was a bear. Also, the lower column cover on mine had 3 screws holding it on, not the 2 that others mention. One of them was behind the bolster, so you'd have to pull that off. It sounds worse than it really is. If I had to do it again, it wouldn't take more than 15 minutes to remove the cluster. You MUST disconnect the battery! Otherwise you will have airbag problems that will require dealer intervention. Also, make sure you mark the position of the wheel, otherwise there's a good chance it will be offcenter when you reinstall it.