PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Cluster Mileage Display Help

mustard
01-04-2006, 05:41 PM
Hi Guys,

Quick bit of assistance if you can, just aquired a 94 E34 520i SE Saloon which has an intermitant problem with the mileometer & Trip displays which can sometimes be displayed perfectly other times they are fragmented (varying bits of the display lit up)

The previous owner had this diagnosed as being the' Instrument Cluster PC Board' as being faulty, now I would like to fix this if poss. but dont want to spend a fortune doing it.

If I obtained one from a breaker and fiited it, does this have an effect on the actual mileage reading? Is it a staright forward job, or does it need a dealer to set it up?

Cheers

Bill R.
01-04-2006, 05:58 PM
old coding plug, it contains the mileage info and other info for the dash cluster. But you still need to stick with the same years or i believe you can use a newer cluster but not an older one. First i would do a cluster self test to see if everything lights up. Hold the odometer reset button on the dash cluster down , while holding it down turn the key to on but not starting it. With the key on and the button held down the self test will start within a couple of seconds, when it start to move the gauges you can let the button up and watch to make sure that everything functions and all fields light up.

Hi Guys,

Quick bit of assistance if you can, just aquired a 94 E34 520i SE Saloon which has an intermitant problem with the mileometer & Trip displays which can sometimes be displayed perfectly other times they are fragmented (varying bits of the display lit up)

The previous owner had this diagnosed as being the' Instrument Cluster PC Board' as being faulty, now I would like to fix this if poss. but dont want to spend a fortune doing it.

If I obtained one from a breaker and fiited it, does this have an effect on the actual mileage reading? Is it a staright forward job, or does it need a dealer to set it up?

Cheers

romus
01-05-2006, 06:13 PM
Bill, this never worked for me, but now i see why. Somewhere I've read you have to hold the CC button down, not the one you said. I'll try your way on my lunch break, see if it works.

shogun
01-05-2006, 10:18 PM
cluster self test
mights not work on yours from 1989 if it has a grey backplate. On my 11/1988 750 with they grey backplate on the cluster is does not work, on my 750 Highline from 03/1990 it works, different color backplate.
02/89 -> 09/90 White PIC 93C46 1024 bytes Self test + diagnosis via Modic. Code plug is standard EPROM
And of course the one with the blue backplate after the white one works also.

mustard
01-10-2006, 03:10 PM
Right, I've done the 'test' everything lights up perfectly (unlike our 518 which the one digit on the trip is permantly out) the display seems to come into life (and stays lit) when the car is used for regulary, if it is left for a day or two it rather it disappears and returns when the car has done a decent journey.

Is there a battery of some sort on the circuit board? Is it not holding charge properly? Would replacing this battery (if there is one) solve the problem or am I best off getting a new (probably 2nd hand board)?

Cheers

DaCan23
01-10-2006, 03:22 PM
The batteries used in older BMW instrument clusters were on the service indicator boards and I dont think they would eb your problem.

You have a busted gear I think.

Read this

http://www.z3bimmer.com/OffTopic/E24Bimmer//OdoGear/

Right, I've done the 'test' everything lights up perfectly (unlike our 518 which the one digit on the trip is permantly out) the display seems to come into life (and stays lit) when the car is used for regulary, if it is left for a day or two it rather it disappears and returns when the car has done a decent journey.

Is there a battery of some sort on the circuit board? Is it not holding charge properly? Would replacing this battery (if there is one) solve the problem or am I best off getting a new (probably 2nd hand board)?

Cheers

Jay 535i
01-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Does it look like this?

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00008BRDW.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

mustard
01-10-2006, 03:46 PM
No it doesnt, When the display goes, you get random and varying bits of the mileage/trip reading (both the milometer and trip continue to record miles whilst the display is not displaying properly)

shogun
01-10-2006, 08:42 PM
I would first try to change the capacitors
http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/johan/dash_caps/dash_caps.html
That is cheap and is quickly done.
If you cannot do it, ask a radio repair shop to do it for you based on the info in above link.
If you need a new board, ask the chaps here
http://www.bmw7resource.co.uk/forum/index.php
There is also Harley, which can do the soldering for you. Just mention that I introduced you here to that board.

R1daveg
01-11-2006, 06:44 AM
Does it look like this?

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00008BRDW.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

ROFLMAO.

Sum funny shiz.:D

mustard
01-28-2006, 01:55 PM
Ok Guys heres what I did to fix it...

purchased a complete dash cluster from a guy out of a 93 525tds, removed the circuit board (which was date stamped '96 so had oviously been chaned at some stage, using www.realoem.com found the part is the same for 518i, 520i, 525td & 525tds )

Disconnected battery, removed steering wheel & airbag, removed cluster, fitted replacment circuit board (swapping over coding chips), refitted everything, reconnected battery and bingo!!! perfect display (with correct mileage and service lights) for a cost of £30!