PDA

View Full Version : Canada Duties/Taxes on US Parts?

talltorontoguy
03-11-2004, 11:27 AM
Hi, does anyone know if there are duties and taxes to be paid when ordering parts from the US and shipping to Canada?

Also, are there any discount parts suppliers in Toronto Canada Area?

Phil in Vancouver
03-11-2004, 12:10 PM
It's 7% GST, plus provincial tax, plus 6% duty on car parts made outside of N. America, but no duty on car parts made within N. America (the GST and provincial taxes apply in either case, though). I checked this out a year ago when I was ordering from BMA.
Phil

MarkD
03-11-2004, 12:33 PM
Hi, does anyone know if there are duties and taxes to be paid when ordering parts from the US and shipping to Canada?

Also, are there any discount parts suppliers in Toronto Canada Area?

Hi Rod,
you may find that the prices at Bruno's site: www.racingking.net
are better than what you can bring the parts in for as I assume he pays only payes duty on his dealer cost. And he also can install parts if you require.

Mark

MikeV
03-11-2004, 05:57 PM
Yeah, and if the shipper uses UPS or FedEx they charge a "broker fee" for handling the transaction with Revenue....
Found this out the hard way, sold a turbo to a guy in Manitoba, FedEx pays the fees, ships the package, and then bills the receiver... he refused to pay, now Fedex (4 months later) sends me a bill for $45.... grrr

Well, there you go - you can always insist they use UPS or Fedex and then stiff the seller ;)

MarkD
03-11-2004, 06:06 PM
Yeah, and if the shipper uses UPS or FedEx they charge a "broker fee" for handling the transaction with Revenue....
Found this out the hard way, sold a turbo to a guy in Manitoba, FedEx pays the fees, ships the package, and then bills the receiver... he refused to pay, now Fedex (4 months later) sends me a bill for $45.... grrr

Well, there you go - you can always insist they use UPS or Fedex and then stiff the seller ;)

The best way to ship auto parts is by USPS. Then Canada Post collects the duties and taxes, and there are no brokerage fees. I used this method with success in the past.

Mark

MikeV
03-11-2004, 07:10 PM
Yup, that will be my only option in the future.... it's no fun when your entiremargin on a deal gets lost in the fine print on the fedex slip.