PDA

View Full Version : NEW shimmy!

digitaldragon03
01-04-2006, 01:18 AM
I did a search but couldnt find anything. My car has a strong vibration in the steering wheel when im taking off early in the morning. I put the car in reverse to get out the driveway, put it in drive, apply throttle, vibration, then car proceeds as normal for the rest of the day. Has anybody else had this happen to them? Is it the thrust arms?

I also recently aquired the brake shimmy at all speeds, im thinking thrust arms based on threads ive read before. You guys think the two vibrations are related?

jjw
01-04-2006, 01:30 AM
Possible flat spot on the tires. Especially in winter, cold temp and sitting over night, some tires will develop flat spot over night. It usually went away within a few miles.

digitaldragon03
01-04-2006, 02:18 AM
Is this something normal, or is it serious enough that i should be getting new tires?

Paul in NZ
01-04-2006, 02:32 AM
it goes away doesnt it....

digitaldragon03
01-04-2006, 02:55 AM
Yes it goes away, but i would rather be sure it isnt serious. I dont want to be driving along the highway and have a tire blow out because i didnt change it after people told me there was an issue with it.

Paul in NZ
01-04-2006, 03:02 AM
thats good thinking,check your tyres carefully esp the inside edges of the rears you may have to jack the car up to do this properly.If they look good its maybe as jjw says,maybe just started as the tyres are getting a bit worn and take a set with teh cold temps

digitaldragon03
01-04-2006, 03:08 AM
Thanks for the advice, ill check them out tomorrow afternoon.