PDA

View Full Version : Loss of power after ecu reset..

Barry
01-04-2006, 12:54 AM
Ive just returned from the coast-sea level-To where I live -6000ft elevation.
While on holiday I discoverd Shoguns site and promptly reset my 535`s ecu using the procedure of shorting the 2 batt. cables together for 10 odd minutes..
The reason for the reset is that Ive been driving with a dicky afm for months and fitted a new one prior to leaving for the coast(round trip of 2000km)

Starting her up after the reset was a bit funny as it took a while to settle into a smooth idle.I put this down to the "RE LEARN"
The first 200km were fine as it was along the coast-I then started climbing a pass where There was a pop noise and then a gradual loss of power It felt the fuel pump was not giving enough fuel(read-I was seriously worried it was packing up!!)
Feathering the throttle would at least give me some forward momentum,but only just-I was crawling up this mountain at 30km/h!!

When I could pull off(a one stop garage at the top) I inspected for airleaks etc..(I had heard a loud pop just prior to the loss of power..just like a lean mixture pop in the intake..)I could not find anything untowards and filled up and hoped for the best.
As I turned onto the main road the car felt good(as good as a 17% loss due to altitude can feel..)
After this she felt good with no problems for the remainder of the journey-400 odd km..

My prsonal feeling is that the altitude might have played a part in all this.Once I had stopped and swithced of the ecu reset for altitude(A lot of altitude compensation takes place in this manner..)And it was fine ..

Can the experts out there shed some light on this for me??

Barry

shogun
01-04-2006, 01:42 AM
Yes, that is the altitude.
For example: An automotive engine can lose 30 percent of its power just by driving to Denver, the Mile High City.
And if the MAF is not 100% working then, it will be even more.
http://www.2-stroke-porting.com/altiden.htm

Here is also a good info and explanation
http://www.moparchat.com/FORUMS/showthread.php?t=89022

grave77
01-04-2006, 02:25 AM
then how will the car perform in an area like 1200 M above sea level?
I remembered that in the past when I was driving in my 1974 230 Mercedes down to 450 M below sea level I used to hear pinging and major loss of power. I know that the car was using carburetor. but at the level where I used to live was ( 1200 M above sea level ) it was OK ...

would it be worse with an AFM

Barry
01-04-2006, 07:53 AM
Aaah,The grand master himself-Thanks,I thought this could have been my problem..Still a bit of a hot start problem,but I now know where to look..Thanks

G77,I think the car should be ok at altitude.On ign. on the ecu will check the baro press.and log this to memory.
Normally this is the correction factor it will use untill the ign. is switched off.On restart it will then re-cal baro and use the new correction factor.
It will in all probability be much better with the motronic and an AFM.
Its when you have fixed jets in a carb that are too small for proper enrichment that you are going to have problms,as you have stated in your post.

SRR2
01-04-2006, 08:22 AM
450 Meters below sea level? Holy cow. Where is that?

grave77
01-04-2006, 09:29 AM
well ... thats next to Israel, place called Jordan Vallie, it's where J-Christ got baptized. "Jordan River" and the Dead Sea. " Sodom and Gomorrah lake" ... there funny stuff happens to your car ... pressure is high there also humidity too ... by the way .. cars doesn't work better there ... you hear valve pinging like hell ...