PDA

View Full Version : Are the Bentley electrical schematics accurate?

Hallmark
01-03-2006, 10:24 AM
I've been trying to run down a short in my electrical system. The left side parking lights don't come on and the position number 4 fuse blows immediately when you turn on the light switch. The problem is that the label under the lid of the fuse box says that the number 4 fuse is for the left side parking lights and nothing else. But trying to trace the wire circuit using the Bentley's shows that the power comes in through the switch from the number 5 fuse.

So, if the Bentley's is wrong how the heck can I figure out where to look for this short circuit? I need to get this fixed to get the car inspected.

BTW this is a '95 525 and I made sure I was using the diagram for my car.

Bill R.
01-03-2006, 10:38 AM
though fuse 4 and 5 are used... it should be 3 images, one may have to post after the first 2http://www.bimmer.info/%7Ebill/1995525lights1.jpg
Page 2
http://www.bimmer.info/%7Ebill/1995525lights2.jpg
http://www.bimmer.info/%7Ebill/1995525wiringfuses1.jpg

These pages are for the 1995 525 in the factory manual

I've been trying to run down a short in my electrical system. The left side parking lights don't come on and the position number 4 fuse blows immediately when you turn on the light switch. The problem is that the label under the lid of the fuse box says that the number 4 fuse is for the left side parking lights and nothing else. But trying to trace the wire circuit using the Bentley's shows that the power comes in through the switch from the number 5 fuse.

So, if the Bentley's is wrong how the heck can I figure out where to look for this short circuit? I need to get this fixed to get the car inspected.

BTW this is a '95 525 and I made sure I was using the diagram for my car.

Hallmark
01-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Reading this diagram it looks like the left side parking lights should be on fuse 5. Is that right? Should l be looking for a place where the fuse 5 circuit is shorting into the fuse 4 circuit?

Thanks for the diagram.

Javier
01-03-2006, 11:10 AM
Javier

Edit: Mail did not go trough, but Bill already post the 1995 drawing for you, so no longer needed.

Bill R.
01-03-2006, 11:15 AM
good starting point, i'd check it to see if it was shorting internally when you turn it on..

Reading this diagram it looks like the left side parking lights should be on fuse 5. Is that right? Should l be looking for a place where the fuse 5 circuit is shorting into the fuse 4 circuit?

Thanks for the diagram.

Hallmark
01-03-2006, 12:35 PM
I took the light switch from one car and swapped it with the other. I replaced the fuse in #4 and it blew again (I'm going to have to buy fuses by the case at this rate). Where else can these circuits cross? In looking at the diagram you sent I see an elipse with CDN in it. What does that stand for?

Bill R.
01-03-2006, 12:46 PM
daytime running lights..., you would look at the other one instead.

I took the light switch from one car and swapped it with the other. I replaced the fuse in #4 and it blew again (I'm going to have to buy fuses by the case at this rate). Where else can these circuits cross? In looking at the diagram you sent I see an elipse with CDN in it. What does that stand for?

Bill R.
01-03-2006, 12:59 PM

Bellicose Right Winger
01-03-2006, 01:08 PM
When you get tired of replacing fuses install a small wattage light bulb in place of fuse. Bulb will glow bright while short exists.

Is the parking light bulb on the trunk lid rather then on the quarter panel? If so I'd check the harness that runs along the left side of the trunk lid hinge. This bundle gets a lot of exercise with opening and closing of truck, and these wires have been known to fail.

Paul Shovestul

.......I'm going to have to buy fuses by the case at this rate.

Bill R.
01-03-2006, 01:11 PM
front parking light but that wasn't stated anywhere other than my imagination

When you get tired of replacing fuses install a small wattage light bulb in place of fuse. Bulb will glow bright while short exists.

Is the parking light bulb on the trunk lid rather then on the quarter panel? If so I'd check the harness that runs along the left side of the trunk lid hinge. This bundle gets a lot of exercise with opening and closing of truck, and these wires have been known to fail.

Paul Shovestul

Hallmark
01-03-2006, 01:31 PM
and the light in back is in the quarter panel. I did check that harness just to be sure, but I didn't find any broken or frayed wires.

My daughter took the other 525 so I'll have to wait a bit to swap LKMs.

Thanks for the tip on putting a light bulb in place of the fuse. That's a pretty bright idea :D ba dum cha!

Javier
01-03-2006, 03:21 PM
blowing F4 if you are out of Left side? (driver's side, isn't it?). You still get light at the right side, feed from???

When you remove F5, do you loose right side park lights?

Would like to know what is going on with the Fuses.

Javier