PDA

View Full Version : Clutch? Linkage? Both?

talltorontoguy
03-11-2004, 09:12 AM
Hi all... I'm a long time lurker, keeping my car on the road with help from the boards. I have a 1992 535i 5spd 225,000 miles

I've been having a progressively more difficult time getting into 1st and reverse. There is a lot of side to side play in the shifter - so much that it hits the side of the console when going into reverse. When in gear the shifter can be moved serveral inches from side to side with my hand.

In addition, the car will sometimes pop out of first or reverse upon releasing the clutch. Originally this was only in 1st, but recently in reverse. This never happens after the car is rolling, and never any other gears. Other gears, 2nd in particular, have become notchy.

After a recent long road trip, when coasting to a stoplight I noticed some new strange noises while clutch was depressed, almost like a light whirring with some faint rattles for good measure. The car also seemed to "hitch" a little, almost like the clutch was not fully engaged. This particular issue (noise and hitching) is intermittent.

The clutch does not slip and when properly engaged in gear, the car pulls fine.

I brought it to my mechanic who after a short test drive told me that the clutch needs to be replaced and I might as well to the shift rod assembly at the same time to assist in shifting. (Have to drop exhaust and driveshaft for both jobs apparently).

After reading many posts, I'm wondering if this is not just the shifter linkage issue and the clutch is ok? He seemed to think that the synchros were ok.

Can anyone shed some light on this one for me?

Rod

mholbrook
03-11-2004, 10:10 AM
You need to replace all the shifter bushings and if the clutch is releasing at the top of the pedal travel the clutch too. My clutch is nearly new and it is fully released closer to the floor. In fact, my clutch stop is about 1.5 inches off the floor which is just below the release point.

Mike