PDA

View Full Version : m50b25 valve timing help

duke
01-02-2006, 04:59 PM
need help with the correct valve positions and chain timing in an e34 525i '92 m50 b25, after a head gasket changing the intake and exhaust cams are not in the correct position and the car is lacking some power
if anyone has the correct position of the cams in relation to tdc
THANKS

winfred
01-02-2006, 07:19 PM
i use to have a run down with pictures on setting up the cams without the special tools but it doesn't come up on the web anymore. if it runs you are close, take the valve cover off and put the crank at tdc (OIT on the ballencer lined up with the timing cover mark) you want it on the intake stroke the #1 cylinder cam lobes will be pointing up and inward (if i remember right) you can then line up the cams with a straight edge on the top of the flat part of the firewall end of the cams, you shouldn't need to take out the tensioner just loosen the bolts/nuts slightly on the gears and turn the cams as needed, when the straight edge sits flat across both cams you are set. i've probably done a couple dozen m50s this way

duke
01-03-2006, 04:26 PM
thanks i'll have a go at it the cams are already pointing up and in i think they need to be advanced a little since there is a slight delay in gas pedal responce and some rough idle in the cold i'll try to line them up with the straight line of the firewall end
STILL if you have the picture of the final position of both cams(I&E) in their best setting that would be great