PDA

View Full Version : I'm shopping-anyone seen this one?

tim
01-02-2006, 02:19 PM
As you all know I'm in the market for a replacement for my 540.

I found this on autotrader:

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/view/vdetail.jsp?productWebsite=waltsauto&dealer_id=43129706&car_id=185157252

It's worth a call to see if they can check the engine casting number. What about that M5 scoop with the brake cooling ducts? It would have to be a mod right? And the Harmon Kardon? Don't see the green real often.

Usually mods would make me run away, but 70k miles and one owner is interesting. Carfax?

I'm also going to check out charlie's 540 here on the board I think.

Open to sub 10k ideas.

tim

<edit>
you can see it better on this link:http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=185157252&dealer_id=43129706&car_year=1994&search_type=both&make=BMW&distance=75&model=&address=06379&advanced=&certified=&max_price=10000&bkms=1136227227139&sort_type=mileageASC&min_price=1&end_year=2006&start_year=1981&isp=y&lang=en&cardist=67

Gayle
01-02-2006, 03:50 PM
Ever the advocate of cross country car buying, I would encourage you to look at SDWhitney's car. (I am not the only one who thinks this way. Kent Carlson's car in Utah is going to have a new home on the east coast). SDWhitney's is beautiful and already wonderfully modded. It is always good to buy from an enthusiast who has loved the car and taken good care of it. And there is a lot to be said for a CA car that hasn't known salt.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=13877

mikell
01-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Why? Does your '95 really have ony 82k miles, or something close to that? I assume that you are familiar with your present car - do you want to start over with a car that's a model year older and not that many fewer miles - and who knows what history? Seems like you'd be better putting your bucks into enhancing what you have, unless you know it has a real big problem.
Of course, some times the urge to buy a different car is just irresistible.
Just my 2cents.
Good luck.

tim
01-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Nice ride and workmanship, but I'm looking for a pure stock example, or lightly modded. I'd consider a sweet touring too.

Thanks for the heads up though.

tim
01-02-2006, 06:09 PM
[QUOTE=mikell]Why? [QUOTE]

Sorry mikell, I shouldn't have assumed that everyone had seen my recent post about my brush with eternity. They are going to total it even though I think it looks pretty good for having hit a guardrail at 70 while spinning. Drove that car away too, through the grass, across the highway and up the access road a bit to wait on AAA. Now that's a car.

So that's why- but you reminded me to update my sig. I still have my '99 e39 540 iT so mebbe I'll just put that up there until I get this sorted out.:D

jjw
01-02-2006, 06:43 PM
It looks stock on the outside. Those brake cooling ducts were standard on the 94 540i.

mikell
01-02-2006, 06:48 PM
Sorry, so sorry - I did see the earlier post - just did not connect the dots.
Hope it all works out for you. Trouble is, I have never been able to buy a car without touching it. Even better would be to meet it's first owner, but that doesn't look like a possibility.
BEST OF LUCK.

willobmw
01-02-2006, 07:23 PM
The miles are right. Nice car. I found my 90 535 back in my hometown of Akron Ohio on Auto Trader in November 2003. I was able to drive (in the 528i) and see it a week earlier. Flew in via Atlanta, picked it up (I did have the valves adjusted, renewed the oil and inspected at Dave Walter BMW) drove it to Saginaw Michigan and then home to Virginia. At 115,00 miles and close to 30k under my foot (thanks to the board, E.A.T. and Bruno) later. I'm still having a blast.
Good luck on your purchase,
Willobmw

tim
01-02-2006, 07:43 PM
This one is all the way on the other side of Rhode Island (which means its 45 minutes away).

I didn't realize the brake ducts were standard on the 94. I think they look great. I wonder why they deleted them on '95. Something about the matching bumpers and rocker panels maybe?

willobmw
01-02-2006, 08:03 PM
This one is all the way on the other side of Rhode Island (which means its 45 minutes away).

I didn't realize the brake ducts were standard on the 94. I think they look great. I wonder why they deleted them on '95. Something about the matching bumpers and rocker panels maybe?
It takes me longer to get to work. Good Luck.

sdwhitney
01-03-2006, 11:44 AM
Ever the advocate of cross country car buying, I would encourage you to look at SDWhitney's car. (I am not the only one who thinks this way. Kent Carlson's car in Utah is going to have a new home on the east coast). SDWhitney's is beautiful and already wonderfully modded. It is always good to buy from an enthusiast who has loved the car and taken good care of it. And there is a lot to be said for a CA car that hasn't known salt.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=13877

Thanks for the compliments Gayle.

I need to get new pics, because I added a DTM Lip and am working on trading my wheels for OEM Throwing stars...

Pics when the rain stops...

rot535i
01-05-2006, 06:54 PM
You might have seen this in the bargain news?

http://bargainnews.com/viewad.cfm?Show_Notepad=Yes&bnAd_ID=6195894&TheDealer=0

black, 155,000 mi, ABS, leather int, p/moonroof, pb, pdl, ps, sunroof, tilt, traction control, air, pw, alloy wheels, 4 dr, p/seats, 8 cyl, alarm, all power, am/fm cass, auto, cruise, fully loaded, detachable face CD/stereo with remote!, loaded with every option!, Runs Great!, MOVING!, MUST SELL!, $6300. (203) 305-3526 (4X) . Derby

Evan
01-05-2006, 07:13 PM
kudos to you... your is one of the best looking E34s I've seen