PDA

View Full Version : Dash lighting - help please

Torque
01-01-2006, 07:06 PM
I tried asking this question in another thread, but got no answers ...

The 3 knobs and the center vent lighting recently went out, and I want to get it back, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get to the lights. Also, what kind of bulbs go there? RealOEM is not helping much.

http://slibe.com/images/fb1378d0-interior_day3_JP.jpg (http://slibe.com)

Derek A.
01-01-2006, 07:27 PM
autozone has the bulbs. they are a 1.5 watt mini dash bulb. You will see once you take it out. The e34 site has a section on replacing the dial switch.

Don't know anything about the upper dial illumination.

tim
01-01-2006, 07:31 PM
here's the link from Bruno's: http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Electrical/panel_lights.htm

Torque
01-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the link. Now all I need is help with the upper dial. I tried to access the bulb through the main vent on top of the dash, but it's impossible. What looks even more impossible is taking the vent/dial assembly out. I fear beaking something.

Mr. BILL
01-01-2006, 09:37 PM
That center one is a bugger. You need to remove the radio, console and vent grill on top of the dash. You have to relaese the vent assembly, pull it straight out. It's not easy to get at it or get it to release. I can't remember if I saw a write-up on line, or if Bentley' s. IMO, it ain't worth the trouble.

Also, the ETK has the wrong bulb number. I think Bruno's write up gives you the right one. Finally, you might as well also replace the ones in the OBC while you're at it.

Torque
01-01-2006, 11:21 PM
Bill, thanks a lot for the reply.

I think I might take it all appart next weekend or something. Who would have thought that replacing 2 bulbs would take so much work. lol

uscharalph
01-02-2006, 01:21 AM
That center one is a bugger. You need to remove the radio, console and vent grill on top of the dash. You have to relaese the vent assembly, pull it straight out. It's not easy to get at it or get it to release. I can't remember if I saw a write-up on line, or if Bentley' s. IMO, it ain't worth the trouble.

Also, the ETK has the wrong bulb number. I think Bruno's write up gives you the right one. Finally, you might as well also replace the ones in the OBC while you're at it.
Wow and I was sitting there wishing my BMW had those lights. LOL!!!

Cactuar
01-02-2006, 03:40 AM
Urgh, I need to replace my climate dials bulb too but it looks like so much work... Must find motivation prior attempting it.

uscharalph
01-02-2006, 10:37 AM
Urgh, I need to replace my climate dials bulb too but it looks like so much work... Must find motivation prior attempting it.
Climate dials aren't that bad.

Derek A.
01-02-2006, 11:35 AM
I did it this weekend - biggest pain in the ass are the control cables. The lower one is a pain in the ass to get back on correctly. Be very gentle pulling the cluster out - lots of little stuff that can break easily.

peterllo
01-03-2006, 01:09 PM
I need to do my climate dials as well. Are they also the 1.5 watt mini-bulbs? The dealer/stealer quoted me $4 a pop, how does Autozone compare?