PDA

View Full Version : Close call with a Cavalier... (would you believe...)

BMWDriver
01-01-2006, 06:32 PM
I'm heading down to Ottawa from Montreal at 105 km/h (62.5 mph) when a Cavalier (or the likes) flies by, two feet from my car, at what I estimate to be around 160 km/h (over 100 mph I figure).

So I protest: honk (like he can hear) and flash my high beams (that'll teach him good!).

I dunno, man. If your gonna speed, get a rig that can hold on the tar and not sway close to your fellow drivers. But in the winter too, gosh, I call that suicidal and darn near murder. I can't imagine trying to brake with cheap tires and brakes at such a speed.

There, that feels better.

(Note to non Canadians : 60 mph is the top legal speed over here, and I'm a slow poke at 62.5 mph.)

Incantation
01-02-2006, 04:41 AM
that's typical montreal.. people driving buckets way too fast. that's not as bad as how close they tail gate all the time.. and i mean 99% of drivers that sit 10 feet off your ass

Cactuar
01-02-2006, 04:47 AM
Seriously. I recently got my license (yeah I'm 23...) and let me tell you that people pushing you in the ass when you're already well over the limit (110 in a 90 highway) does no good to confidence and sense of security. You'd think driving in the middle lane would avoid you any trouble but it's just free for all it seems. I'm usually trying to "fit in" and adapt to the flow but everyone's just pushing it. I've yet to drive through Montreal but on the south shore it's quite bad :(

wingman
01-02-2006, 04:57 AM
Cavalier? Vauxhall? Give me some clues.

onewhippedpuppy
01-02-2006, 08:42 AM
For the non North America guys, Cavalier is a cheap Chevy $hitbox that they don't even bother trying to sell overseas. I'd be scared to drive one at 80, over 100 seems like suicide.

romus
01-02-2006, 09:07 PM
:) Yeh here we have idiots like that too. It's so rare to have someone that keeps reasonable distance behind your car. Hate tailgaters. I don't care if they're careless about their lives, hug a tree around the next bend - don't care. But not near me. I drive on the limit or slightly over (except in wet) and will for sure outbrake anything behind me...so that makes me very nervous when i have an idiot close behind me (or even trucks). I never sit in the overtaking lane, yet the ones that breathe behind my neck never seem to want to drive faster than me and overtake, but rather drive preciselly my speed 3-4m behind me...

BMWDriver
01-15-2006, 09:50 PM
Seriously. I recently got my license (yeah I'm 23...) and let me tell you that people pushing you in the ass when you're already well over the limit (110 in a 90 highway) does no good to confidence and sense of security. You'd think driving in the middle lane would avoid you any trouble but it's just free for all it seems. I'm usually trying to "fit in" and adapt to the flow but everyone's just pushing it. I've yet to drive through Montreal but on the south shore it's quite bad :(
Just avoid Highway 40 for awhile. And if you can, the 15 as well, although it's not as bad, until you get used to it. If you drive 90, you should do okay, even if it's a 70 zone. But that's it all the time, there's always someone going faster than you.

If you don't exactly know where you are going, it's also a hassle. The signs don't tell very well how to take an exit. German highways are so much better designed and with much better signs: you know where to hang well before time. The 40 in Montreal is one of the reputed worst designed in the world. I still have a bit of trouble at times.

Traian
01-16-2006, 01:25 AM
I'm scared for my life too doing 100 in Canada. 120 feels safer, and the coppers won't rob you at that speed either. This is more of a beef with lawmakers than yourself, but to stay safe at 100 you hafta have 20 eyes, and keep 18 of them on your mirrors, because at that speed traffic is gonna be all over you like gravy on beef.

If it makes you feel any better, he was probably maxing out at that speed :)

Aaaah you're gonna hate me for this, but one can't help oneself: 62.5 mph is 100 km/h, which is the Canadian limit. Cheerio.