PDA

View Full Version : Engine Temperature

t_marat
01-01-2006, 12:18 AM
At where I live currently the temperature is about -20C to -15C (-4F to 5F) at night and about -10C (14F) during the day. Engine does not reach its operating temperature, which I assume is the middle of the temperature gauge. It barely goes past the blue zone. Surely I have to keep the heater at nearly always on.

Is it normal? Anyway to make the engine reach the operating temperature?

shogun
01-01-2006, 02:05 AM
Probably your thermostat is stuck in almost open position.
Even at such temperatures it should be in the middle=normal after let's say 5-10 minutes at least.

t_marat
01-01-2006, 02:17 AM
Any way to check the thermostat without removing it?

t_marat
01-01-2006, 02:20 AM
This one fits mine right?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-Thermostat-E30-E36-E34-Z3-E39_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33603QQitemZ8011354 828QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V
Vernet, a good brand?

Another one, 75C?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E30-E36-M3-E34-M50-Low-Temp-Thermostat-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33603QQitemZ8004419 928QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-75-Degrees-Thermostat-E30-E36-M3-E34-German-Made_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33604QQitemZ793511 7599QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V
claims to be German made. WAHLER

Bill R.
01-01-2006, 06:15 AM
close completely and the car won't warm up in cold climates. Only thing to do is to replace the thermostat, Most of the ones that i buy here or from bma are wahler, i haven't had any problems with them, but i wouldn't get the 75C in your climate, i'd get the stock temp or higher one otherwise it will still run too cold. http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/850brokenthermostat.jpg

At where I live currently the temperature is about -20C to -15C (-4F to 5F) at night and about -10C (14F) during the day. Engine does not reach its operating temperature, which I assume is the middle of the temperature gauge. It barely goes past the blue zone. Surely I have to keep the heater at nearly always on.

Is it normal? Anyway to make the engine reach the operating temperature?

mbogosia
01-01-2006, 06:24 AM
If you do change it, remember that you will need new thermostat housing gaskets as well. I didn't know that and had to wing it.

t_marat
01-01-2006, 06:53 AM
There is another thing, in summer it is also very hot. Sometime +45C.

This one has a gasket in the picture:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-75-Degrees-Thermostat-E30-E36-M3-E34-German-Made_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33604QQitemZ793511 7599QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V
It says that one should also change the housing from plastic to metalic. What do you think about it?

Alexlind123
01-01-2006, 07:42 AM
You probably wont want that thermostat, its a different temperature than OEM.

t_marat
01-04-2006, 04:53 AM
I put a thick cardboard paper between the A/C condenser and the radiator, to block the incoming air from the radiator. Now the engine warms up to the operating temperature without problems.
At first when it reached the middle of the gauge, I was afraid it would overheat. It did not. The temperature gauge reaches the middle and just stays there, (with the heater on or off, doesn't matter).

Is it right to say that the thermostat is always half open(approximately); and opens fully when the engine reaches about 80C (that would explain why it does not overheat)? Or might it be that the thermostat actually works, its just too cold?

genphreak
01-04-2006, 08:25 AM
I put a thick cardboard paper between the A/C condenser and the radiator, to block the incoming air from the radiator. Now the engine warms up to the operating temperature without problems.
At first when it reached the middle of the gauge, I was afraid it would overheat. It did not. The temperature gauge reaches the middle and just stays there, (with the heater on or off, doesn't matter).

Is it right to say that the thermostat is always half open (approximately); and opens fully when the engine reaches about 80C (that would explain why it does not overheat)? Or might it be that the thermostat actually works, its just too cold?ALl I am sure of is that a good thermostat will be dead closed below 50 degrees C.

As your radiator restriction (cardboard) is working, I too expect your t'stat is jammed open. Change it to see for sure- yes Wahler is good, but I had to drill a little 2mm hole in the top of mine to allow the engine to 'burp' the air bubbles out of the head when bleeding the air out, (this is a very important procedure) and the little hole does not hurt the engine or the t'stat at all. Without it it takes patience and is also hit and miss.

FYI: I don't know for sure, but I think an 83 degree 'stat will only begine opening at 80+ degrees. I would only expect to see it half open at a very hot temperature, something at least near that.. correct me if I'm wrong please people. :) Nick

Bill R.
01-04-2006, 09:37 AM
in the pic below, its pretty common on these , they break on the straps and then even when closed don't contact the seat. Since all of these thermostats use wax to open and close the expansion tends to be rather abrupt when it reaches a specific temperature, meaning that close to 80C it will start to open and will open fairly quickly within a few degrees variation.

ALl I am sure of is that a good thermostat will be dead
closed below 50 degrees C.

As your radiator restriction (cardboard) is working, I too expect your t'stat is jammed open. Change it to see for sure- yes Wahler is good, but I had to drill a little 2mm hole in the top of mine to allow the engine to 'burp' the air bubbles out of the head when bleeding the air out, (this is a very important procedure) and the little hole does not hurt the engine or the t'stat at all. Without it it takes patience and is also hit and miss.

FYI: I don't know for sure, but I think an 83 degree 'stat will only begine opening at 80+ degrees. I would only expect to see it half open at a very hot temperature, something at least near that.. correct me if I'm wrong please people. :) Nick