PDA

View Full Version : Locust time again

wingman
12-31-2005, 06:28 PM
I've just finished putting fly screen on the my front grilles to keep the locusts out of the radiator. As you can see it looks 'great'... Has anyone got any ideas to improve the look of this essential 'modification'? As the grille is such a nuisance to take out I didn't put the screen behind it although this would look much better. The bottom grille looks okay.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c301/wingman_1968/grille1.jpg

zygoteer
01-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Nice idea, but I am interested to know how this will affect your radiator's cooling efficiency ?

Zeuk in Oz
01-01-2006, 05:33 PM
Yes,

I drove to Wagga Wagga and back on Christmas Eve and the front of the ML 270 was plastered with them.

The joys of living in the country !

What you need is a roo bar / bull bar on the front to attach the flyscreen to. :D

Derek A.
01-01-2006, 08:03 PM
It simple.

Relocate to an area where those bugs aren't a problem...like Michigan !
http://www.opus45.com/pics/bmw_snow2.jpg

mattyb
01-01-2006, 08:11 PM
bloody hell. how often do u have to put up with that? Im sure its nice now and then but that couldnt be everyday could it?

romus
01-01-2006, 08:33 PM
hehe Matty, where I am from, your car is buried like this every day for three to four months every year :) Taking all the snow off doesn't end up being the problem, but scraping the frost off the windshield does. Temperatures get down to -19C and snow up to 2m in height out in the country. In city, salt rusts up your car pretty soon. Yep, glad I'm in Australia...now we get cold when it gets "down" to +15C :)

Sorry for going off the topic, Wingman. Didn't know you lived in the country, btw.

rob101
01-01-2006, 09:04 PM
Yeah I have encountered the same thing last year, a group of us were travelling from brisbane to melbourne for the Formula SAE competition last year.
You think having them mess up the front of your car is bad, try taking a toilet break in a service station toilet at 11 pm that is full of them, now thats interesting :p
seems to happen only in southern NSW though we didn't encounter many in victoria or northern NSW/ QLD.

winfred
01-01-2006, 09:50 PM
that's the whole idea, if you don't keep the bastards out of your radiator you cook, it's the same thing with love bugs in the south, this ****ing (figuretivly and literally) black cloud will desend on us in a few months and agravate the living **** out of everyone and everything, they seem to be attracted to petroleum type things so i usually have a wonderful swarm to work in at the yard

Nice idea, but I am interested to know how this will affect your radiator's cooling efficiency ?

uscharalph
01-02-2006, 01:23 AM
I've just finished putting fly screen on the my front grilles to keep the locusts out of the radiator. As you can see it looks 'great'... Has anyone got any ideas to improve the look of this essential 'modification'? As the grille is such a nuisance to take out I didn't put the screen behind it although this would look much better. The bottom grille looks okay.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c301/wingman_1968/grille1.jpg
I'm glad I live in Southern California.

wingman
01-02-2006, 03:36 AM
Yeah these things are an annual event in 'the bush'. I used to live in the central west of NSW (about 5 hours west of the coast). I thought I was free of them but obviously not. I know a bloke who killed a car between Dubbo and Sydney (5 hours). They just clogged up his radiator and the engine seized. These things are fair dinkum bas%^rds and will eat anything in their path. Oh, and will kill anything mechanical as well.

liquidtiger720
01-02-2006, 05:21 AM
I hope you don't have depe headlights. :)

or at least have lamin-x on em like me.

winfred
01-02-2006, 11:31 AM
our locusts are a once every 15 or so years thing, they come out of the ground eat **** eat some more and die

Yeah these things are an annual event in 'the bush'. I used to live in the central west of NSW (about 5 hours west of the coast). I thought I was free of them but obviously not. I know a bloke who killed a car between Dubbo and Sydney (5 hours). They just clogged up his radiator and the engine seized. These things are fair dinkum bas%^rds and will eat anything in their path. Oh, and will kill anything mechanical as well.