PDA

View Full Version : Sacreligious mods - What's the worst you've seen?

pundit
12-31-2005, 02:33 PM
Many years back (over 20), a guy I met through a friend told me he has just bought a Porsche. An original 1956 356 Coupe.

It was a great restorer. Complete, straight, no rust, needed new paint, upholstery etc. But it was a very good unmodified original example.
He joined the Porsche Car Club. He then began the 'restoration'.

He stripped the car and begun not a 're'-build but a 're'-placement. He replaced the original motor with a Mazda 13B rotary. Fitted Mazda RX4 seats (in pink velour of course) Holden (GM) front disc brakes, ROH mags, an ridiculous sound system, lots of flashing lights, roof console, and about 300lbs of fibreglass flares, sideskirts, whaletails, and spoilers.

So what did the Porsche Club Club think of all his efforts?
Obviously not much.
They kicked him out and gave him a lifetime ban.

If he done this to a late VW Beetle, I don't think it would have mattered quite as much!

Which brings me to my point.
Whether it be cars, antiques etc once you own something do you morally have the right to do with it what you like? I know legally you can... it's yours.
I'm referring more to 'classic' examples that are becoming items of rarity.

There's no doubt this guy seriously devalued his 356 Coupe. His judgement was obviously lacking somewhat (although I'm sure he would have disgareed at the time).
To some, any non standard changes to a classic car at all are considered sacrelige. Others may say that minor mods that are in keeping with the the vehicles heritage are okay. For example fitting items that were available at the time by either the original manufacturer, or a recognised performance parts supplier of the day.

Plenty of us mod our own cars, but say in another 25 years or so, would we like someone telling us we can't because E34's are getting rare and there aren't enough original examples left.

A case in point would be something like an E34 Alpina B10 Bi-Turbo (about 500 produced)
If one of us on this forum bought an original example and then proceeded to totally 'pimp it out' would they find themselves alienated by many on this forum?

dacoyote
12-31-2005, 03:56 PM
A case in point would be something like an E34 Alpina B10 Bi-Turbo (about 500 produced)
If one of us on this forum bought an original example and then proceeded to totally 'pimp it out' would they find themselves alienanted by many on this forum?

Alienanted... no... dead... yes

liquidtiger720
12-31-2005, 04:00 PM
Its a car....

dacoyote
12-31-2005, 04:01 PM
Its a car....
Doesn't matter...

Jon K
12-31-2005, 04:05 PM
Pundit,

are you trying to say i defaced my bmw?

:p

dacoyote
12-31-2005, 04:07 PM
Yes... He is... please change your will to leave me your car.. and report for downsizing... :-)

pundit
12-31-2005, 04:28 PM
Pundit,

are you trying to say i defaced my bmw? :p
What are you still doing here?
Leave this forum at once!
Do not past 'Go', do not collect $200.00! :D

pundit
12-31-2005, 04:32 PM
Yes... He is... please change your will to leave me your car.. and report for downsizing... :-)
What? Do you want to get banned as well?
Jon's car is a poisoned chalice?
Thou who touches it will be condemned to the burning fires of hell for 40,000 years. :p

dacoyote
12-31-2005, 05:37 PM
What? Do you want to get banned as well?
Jon's car is a poisoned chalice?
Thou who touches it will be condemned to the burning fires of hell for 40,000 years. :p

It would be worth it....

Johntee540
12-31-2005, 05:48 PM
So I guess the undercar Neon Kit I got for mine shouldnt be installed? - JT

pundit
12-31-2005, 05:52 PM
... along with the 22" chrome wheels with propellor spinners.

E34 530
12-31-2005, 09:32 PM
I know of a few cases. At my old job (I worked at a classic car dealer detailing and fixing small things on the cars) a guy put like 20 inch spinning wire wheels rims on a chevelle convertible (the convertibles are very rare) He also put like green shag carpet all over the thing (dash, underside of roof, etc.) He also put those ridiculous purple foglights in the front and back of car. To top it all of, he painted it with flip-flop paint. It changed from bright purple, green, blue, and yellow as the sun hit it. There was a whole bunch of **** that I don't remember. It was pretty ghetto.

E34-520iSE
01-01-2006, 01:45 AM
Jon K your car looks great - no "cheesy" body bits to be seen!

Cheers,

Shaun

Incantation
01-01-2006, 01:40 PM
alienated? yea.. there's not a lot of love here for doing things differently. i have modded my car to suit my taste.. and respect others for doing so too. seems like some people here enjoy making stupid comments about things they don't like.. pretty lame. but then there are always a couple nerds in every forum

Bill R.
01-01-2006, 01:46 PM
12 volt ones on ebay for motorcycles that have 6 neon lights and a remote control which allows you to change the color of your lights to 15 different colors.... thinking that these would make make really spiffy yard lights if i made some housings for them and powered them with a solar collector and 12 battery... the remote would turn them on and off and change colors when the mood struck you...:)

Gayle
01-01-2006, 03:22 PM
I confess, I like neon too. Hey this is California. I just can't imagine it going on my classic look e34, but I was toying with the idea of putting it on Hubby's suv. He is actually open to the idea.

pundit
01-01-2006, 04:32 PM
alienated? yea.. there's not a lot of love here for doing things differently. i have modded my car to suit my taste.. and respect others for doing so too. seems like some people here enjoy making stupid comments about things they don't like.. pretty lame. but then there are always a couple nerds in every forum
Is there something you're trying to get off your chest?

BMWDriver
01-01-2006, 05:39 PM
The worst I have seen is an 80's Mercedes with big alloy wheels, silver paint and skirts. I dunno: modding a Mercedes just ain't nice to see. No matter what, it's still grandpa's car in my mind.

gale
01-01-2006, 08:25 PM
Many years back (over 20), a guy I met through a friend told me he has just bought a Porsche. An original 1956 356 Coupe.

I must confess to having a hand at "butchering" a 1952 Porsche Continental Coupe. In my defense, it was an irrepairable rustbucket. We scabbed it onto a '68 VW Beetle pan and proceeded to make it a splitwindow by cutting & welding a '38 Buick rear window. We Frenched the taillights and put '49 Buick dual beehive lenses into it with the tips of the lenses flush with the contour of the body. We mated Saab seats and Fiat guages to it. We never took it beyond primer when the owner moved and took it with him. I think it's somewhere back in Maine now. Last I heard he painted it bright yellow.

grave77
01-02-2006, 12:11 AM
well I've seen some one sick of the V12 electrical controls on his 850i therefore he just trashed the engine and tranny with all the DME's and tranny ECU too and replaced it with the Mercedes 560 SEL engine with mechanical fuel injection system, and its auto tranny. modified the engine supports and it went all fine.

I found that a bad idea ... I just couldn't look at this 850i as a BMW anymore ... eventhough it ran quite good with the same power I think .. wasn't dynod.

I wont do that even if I will need to rebuild the car electricals from A-z.

Chris'91'525i
01-02-2006, 12:11 AM

It was a great restorer. Complete, straight, no rust, needed new paint, upholstery etc. But it was a very good unmodified original example.

He stripped the car and begun not a 're'-build but a 're'-placement. He replaced the original motor with a Mazda 13B rotary. Fitted Mazda RX4 seats (in pink velour of course) Holden (GM) front disc brakes, ROH mags, an ridiculous sound system, lots of flashing lights, roof console, and about 300lbs of fibreglass flares, sideskirts, whaletails, and spoilers.

I'm tempted to do something similar to my Rx7. That is, put a piston motor in it . Any rotorhead will tell you, that this is the most sacreligious' thing you can do to these cars.
I would like a Rx8 motor, but maybe a M-powered S14 motor in 2.5L would be nice too. But in the end ,it will probably be something less expensive than these two choices.

In my teen years and early 20's, I was big into Baja bugs. And did hack up some nice vintage VW bug's including oval window ones, which would be worth some decent money today.
Baja bugs are very conducive to sacreligiousness. Probably my ultimute one ( in regards to sacreligious mods) was the Mazda Rx2 powered one, that thing was a flame throwing screamer when running crosscountry at redline :D. Also got more tickets in that thing, than anything I ever owned....

Bill R.
01-02-2006, 12:26 AM
1952 split window bug with semphore turn signals to make a baja for a customer... no matter what we said he still wanted us to do it.... and of course since he was paying, we did..

I'm tempted to do something similar to my Rx7. That is, put a piston motor in it . Any rotorhead will tell you, that this is the most sacreligious' thing you can do to these cars.
I would like a Rx8 motor, but maybe a M-powered S14 motor in 2.5L would be nice too. But in the end ,it will probably be something less expensive than these two choices.

In my teen years and early 20's, I was big into Baja bugs. And did hack up some nice vintage VW bug's including oval window ones, which would be worth some decent money today.
Baja bugs are very conducive to sacreligiousness. Probably my ultimute one ( in regards to sacreligious mods) was the Mazda Rx2 powered one, that thing was a flame throwing screamer when running crosscountry at redline :D. Also got more tickets in that thing, than anything I ever owned....

Jeff N.
01-02-2006, 01:02 AM
Gawd those things suck! :D

wingman
01-02-2006, 02:03 AM
Answer to first question: A mate told me once that he really lusted after an old Jag, "I'd really love a Mark II and drop a 350 Chev into it..." What the...

Second question: My cars stay virtually stock (nothing against mods but it's not me) and my houses are restored 'sympathetically'. I would not smash anyone who modded a B10 but I would be disappointed. Each to their own.

bfd
01-02-2006, 03:25 PM

So what did the Porsche Club Club think of all his efforts?
Obviously not much.
They kicked him out and gave him a lifetime ban.

If he done this to a late VW Beetle, I don't think it would have mattered quite as much!

Which brings me to my point.
Whether it be cars, antiques etc once you own something do you morally have the right to do with it what you like? I know legally you can... it's yours.
I'm referring more to 'classic' examples that are becoming items of rarity.

There's no doubt this guy seriously devalued his 356 Coupe. His judgement was obviously lacking somewhat (although I'm sure he would have disgareed at the time).
To some, any non standard changes to a classic car at all are considered sacrelige. Others may say that minor mods that are in keeping with the the vehicles heritage are okay. For example fitting items that were available at the time by either the original manufacturer, or a recognised performance parts supplier of the day.

Plenty of us mod our own cars, but say in another 25 years or so, would we like someone telling us we can't because E34's are getting rare and there aren't enough original examples left.

If one of us on this forum bought an original example and then proceeded to totally 'pimp it out' would they find themselves alienated by many on this forum?

Think about it, if you got to money to buy something, who really cares what you do? It ain't yours, so the person should be able to do what they want. After all, it is a *free* country (assuming you're in the US or some other "free" country).

Who's to say that "lambo doors" or spinner wheels are any more wrong than putting in a short shift kit or modified suspension. Neither is "official" BMW. If you really have to upgrade your BMW for "performance", why not do it all and buy a M version?

Of course, nobody here has mentioned Jimmy's "nightmare":

http://www.jimmy540i.com/bmwnightmare.htm

Zeuk in Oz
01-02-2006, 05:25 PM
I must say that I agree with wingman in that stock is nice - just my personal view.

However if someone wants to mod anything, so be it. I would be a bit concerned if safety features were compromised - eg Holden brakes on a Bimmer.

As long as I don't have to park it in my garage or pay for it, however, I don't care what someone else does. Horses for courses ! :p

pundit
01-02-2006, 07:19 PM
Think about it, if you got to money to buy something, who really cares what you do? It ain't yours, so the person should be able to do what they want...

...I know legally you can... it's yours.
This was a hypothetical to for people to give their opinions... not legislation! ;)
Oh yeah, and Jimmy's "nightmare" is a cracker!! :D

winfred
01-02-2006, 07:52 PM
one of the goofeyest bastardized cars that's come through my shop was a 940 turbo volvo with gold wire wheels sticking atleast 6" outside the wheel wells, it had several lcd screens almost attached around the interior of the car and my favorite a old ass sega game gear velcro'd to the airbag steering wheel as such it would turn into a dandy projectile if the bag was triggered, lotsa lights and spoilers scatered around the outside of the car top off the image. i had pics of it but that was a few years ago and have been since lost

wingman
08-04-2006, 06:18 AM
I love the ideas you guys are throwing around. What I'm getting from you all is that most have the same idea. Pimp it if you wish but leave it alone if it is rare or risk the wrath of many. I totally agree with you. Pimping a B10 would be sacriligious but pimping a standard E34 is fine (except Pundit and his shagpile love heart lol.) When I had my 'fairly rare' E12 528i/M at the 1999 nationals it was parked next to some other E12s that were modded within reason. The most cred went to a lady who had a totally stock and renewed (at HUUUUGE expense) E12 528i/A. She was almost worshipped. Go the M20 with bottle caps!!!! You can't get any more original than that! Mind you I totally love what Jon K has done with stretching the boundaries of mods to the E34. Not for me but great all the same. Big Kriss has also done some great things to his car.

ILoveMPower
08-04-2006, 08:59 AM
Think about it, if you got to money to buy something, who really cares what you do? It ain't yours, so the person should be able to do what they want. After all, it is a *free* country (assuming you're in the US or some other "free" country).

Who's to say that "lambo doors" or spinner wheels are any more wrong than putting in a short shift kit or modified suspension. Neither is "official" BMW. If you really have to upgrade your BMW for "performance", why not do it all and buy a M version?

The difference is that BMW's are the ultimate driving machine, putting lambo doors with 80lb hinges and 22" spinner chrome wheels not only ruins the entire clean look and lines of the car, it takes a big **** on the performance aspect.

If somebody put spinners and lambo doors on a B10 biturbo... I'd probably have to kill myself as I wouldn't be able to live knowing what had occured.

grave77
08-04-2006, 09:41 AM
one simple thing I really hate, it's some aftermarkit rear lights that looks like honda civic, lots of silly drivers are installing them on E36 cars, i really hate that !! there are lots of stuff manufactured for BMW which is a total humilliation to this wonderful car. the problem is that many people installs them!

Ross
08-04-2006, 09:55 AM
There is lots of questionable(to me) taste out there so it's hard to narrow down. The current ricer styles seem fabulously silly to me but I couldn't give a hoot about the cars they modify. One less Honda is OK by me.
Some of the very old cars that get rodded or worse are a shame because so few remain.
I have to laugh at the guys offended by the Chevy swaps into XJ and XJS jags, it transforms a troublesome POS into a useful car, guess that removes the charm.
I'm all for anything that improves a car in it's owners eyes. I don't have to like it.

Ross
08-04-2006, 09:57 AM
It's cheap, easy and perceived as different.

grave77
08-04-2006, 10:06 AM
u forgoten one main thing, IT'S UGLY

Gayle
08-04-2006, 11:19 AM
Barrie--your sig pic has blown up.

Don McAdams
08-04-2006, 11:33 AM
Not exactly an E34 (err.... well it does have the w-i-d-e grilles :p ) Pretty much hurled when I saw this. A damn shame too, it looks like a real clean car, minus the frankenstein work on the front end...... :( WoW....... WHY?????????????

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m17/vlad-e30m3/CIMG2227.jpg

Thanks for the pic vlad-

grave77
08-04-2006, 11:48 AM
I know, I had to fix my server took me 30 min. sorry for that. since I host my pix on my own server. Thanks for the reminder Gayle :)

Gayle
08-04-2006, 11:52 AM
I know, I had to fix my server took me 30 min. sorry for that. since I host my pix on my own server. Thanks for the reminder Gayle :)

FYI The pic is back but it took a really long time to load.

grave77
08-04-2006, 11:52 AM
what about the front end? I guess the wide front changed the look ...

grave77
08-04-2006, 12:14 PM
maybe it's the network, also I'm listeningto web radio now and downloading stuff. so it might get slower.

angrypancake
08-04-2006, 01:09 PM
Not exactly an E34 (err.... well it does have the w-i-d-e grilles :p ) Pretty much hurled when I saw this. A damn shame too, it looks like a real clean car, minus the frankenstein work on the front end...... :( WoW....... WHY?????????????

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m17/vlad-e30m3/CIMG2227.jpg

Thanks for the pic vlad-

i cant see it :(

Incantation
08-04-2006, 01:44 PM
heheh. just an observation, bud

goat128
08-04-2006, 02:20 PM
On another forum there was a post about putting e39 headlights onto an e34. He started the job but it was a disaster that he butchered the poor thing ("self-pawned" ftl).

fujioko
08-04-2006, 04:18 PM
About seven years ago I bought a ’52 MGTD. The car was modified back in 1979 with a Volvo B18 engine and trans. Since the car was already bastardized by the PO I thought I would be cleared of any ill feelings from the MG folks… wrong!.. I was shunned.

Those MG people can be real jerks.

Sold the TD for lots of money and bought the Spitfire.

winfred
08-04-2006, 05:02 PM
man, a td with a warmed over b20 and a od tranny would be the ****, the only thing that would be cooler would be to have one of the ultra rare supercharged cars with some modern internal work

About seven years ago I bought a ’52 MGTD. The car was modified back in 1979 with a Volvo B18 engine and trans. Since the car was already bastardized by the PO I thought I would be cleared of any ill feelings from the MG folks… wrong!.. I was shunned.

Those MG people can be real jerks.

Sold the TD for lots of money and bought the Spitfire.

mamilapon
08-04-2006, 05:13 PM
I guess my 747 ground spoiler is out of the question too!!

Mewsy
08-04-2006, 07:27 PM
I had blue neon windscreen washers. They looked OK as my car is Alpine White, but here in OZ it is illegal to have blue or red lights on the front of your vehicle unless it is an emergency vehicle. I was in my Paramedic Uniform on my way to a night shift so the cop let me off with a warning, but it's the second time the car has been pulled over for them (my wife was driving the first time)
Had my fun and the kids were over them so I disconnected them:D

ThoreauHD
08-04-2006, 07:42 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/toasty0z/ricer1.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/toasty0z/ricer3.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/toasty0z/ricer2.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/toasty0z/ricer4.jpg

WeZZZ SiiyeeeeDZ!

fujioko
08-04-2006, 08:39 PM
man, a td with a warmed over b20 and a od tranny would be the ****, the only thing that would be cooler would be to have one of the ultra rare supercharged cars with some modern internal work

Best of all, you could run the B18 engine hard all day long and not break a thing!

A funny story how I actually got the TD… I pulled up to a garage sale and got out to take a quick look around.. nothing but cloths and baby stuff…So As I’m walking back to my car the chick running the sale says “we got a little sports car behind the barn if your interested”.. So I look… At first I thought it was a fiberglass replica because nobody would sell a ’52 MGTD at a garage sale… Then I realized it was the REAL thing.

Ahhh… I thought there is no way I can afford it…but I asked the price and the chick says $600.00!

Wrote a check and called for a flatbed truck.. within an hour the TD was in my garage!

winfred
08-04-2006, 08:50 PM
**** that's a deal

Ahhh… I thought there is no way I can afford it…but I asked the price and the chick says $600.00!

Wrote a check and called for a flatbed truck.. within an hour the TD was in my garage!

saj3n
08-04-2006, 08:56 PM
That's hot! I want to do that with mine! Ohhh I'll also wire it so it spits actual fire out the back! Yea! That'd be hot! I bet i'll get all the attention driving here around Philly! 22" rims, shoot, I have 22" Exhaust pipes!

McWatters
08-04-2006, 10:56 PM
I have neons in my car lol ,blue , matches nicely with the orange dash lights.

cheers

J.McWatters