PDA

View Full Version : Weird steering problem

IN10CT
12-30-2005, 08:08 PM
Funny thing happened tonight. When pulling into my driveway, the steering suddenly started hammering back at me and I was unable to turn the wheels. Felt similar to anti-lock brake pulsing.

It was pouring with rain and I had just gone through a very large puddle...

After sitting for about 15 seconds, I was able to turn the steering wheel again and park the car.

Any thoughts on this? I tried searching the forums but drew a blank.

1989 535i
5-speed manual
245000kms

Torque
12-30-2005, 08:12 PM
Funny thing happened tonight. When pulling into my driveway, the steering suddenly started hammering back at me and I was unable to turn the wheels. Felt similar to anti-lock brake pulsing.

It was pouring with rain and I had just gone through a very large puddle...

After sitting for about 15 seconds, I was able to turn the steering wheel again and park the car.

Any thoughts on this? I tried searching the forums but drew a blank.

1989 535i
5-speed manual
245000kmsI think the power steering belt gets splashed and soaked with water and slips when you go over large puddles. Happened to me a few times. One time it was quite scary because I was trying to execute a left turn across 2 lanes with traffic coming up ... death was so near. lol

IN10CT
12-30-2005, 08:32 PM
Good chance you are right on this one! Thanks for the quick reply.

I also must appologize... A ran a wider search and wouldn't you know it, the very last post of 225 matches was my exact problem.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=1042&highlight=steering+problem

I'm going to check and see if the splash guard is missing in the morning.

Alexlind123
12-30-2005, 08:46 PM
Wow, i guess its a good thing my brother replaced some torn mounting points on the splash guard with stips of metal so that i could put it back on. I was driving in the heaviest rain today that i have ever driven in - went through one very large puddle, but without ill effect.

It kind of reminds me of a beige e32 i saw on the way to church one sunday morning, it was in front of us and it would swerve off of the road into parking lots just to hit every large puddle it saw to make large splashes of water, kind of like a little kid with rubber boots in a mud puddle.

Torque
12-31-2005, 07:24 AM
Does anyone have the part number for the splash guard?