PDA

View Full Version : 2 layer board ECU removal - for chipping

ktteoh
12-30-2005, 06:51 PM
i drive a 520i M50 engine manual. when i opened up the ecu, it is a 2 layer board.

i have difficulty removing the upper board - i'm stuck at the stage where you need to "pry" the it away from the connector side of the wiring harness.

i have read many postings but i'm not sure where and what else is preventing the upper board from being eased out.

is there an alternative way to open the 2 boards - like opening the bottom base plate ?

pyro
12-30-2005, 07:16 PM
its a bia but theres these little clips where the connector connects that need to be pushed in and then you need to pry the board alll the way up and pull out. its a pain but it comes out

ktteoh
12-30-2005, 08:23 PM
its a bia but theres these little clips where the connector connects that need to be pushed in and then you need to pry the board alll the way up and pull out. its a pain but it comes out

what does these clips looks like - can someone draw me a rough diagram how it locks the thing - it's all dark in the connector area :) so it's hard to visualize where to push and in what direction.

pyro
12-30-2005, 09:25 PM
the top board has its own pins where the connector connects... at each end there is a clip clip>[-----------------------]<clip

632 Regal
12-30-2005, 09:36 PM
3 clips or "through clips" they are plastic arrows that you have to back off the arroww parts. Some boards are real tight even after removing the arrow clip deals as mine was. dont bend the board as much as you think you need to, its just hung up. my first time took an gour, now it takes 10 minutes to switch a chip from the time I open the hood.

Patience man.

ktteoh
12-31-2005, 12:46 AM
folks, i'm confused. pyro says two clips and jeff says 3 clips.

i would really be much obliged if someone can post me some diagrams or pictures of what these clips look like and where they are located.

tim
12-31-2005, 04:41 AM
The first time I did it I undid the clips it felt like it was stuck. Then I discovered that the ribbon cable that joins the two halves is very stiff. I was babying it, and as Jeff said, after you do it once and get a feeling for the pressure you need, it's easy.

Check this link out for some pictures. Its not the same ecu but you'll get the idea. http://www.turnermotorsport.com/pages/chip_id_v8.htm

632 Regal
12-31-2005, 05:19 AM
oh yeah, theres also a torx screw that needs to be removed.

pyro
12-31-2005, 08:46 AM
those clips, its tricky to make shure both of them are pressed in at the same time. I just broke them off to make it eazyer next time.

ktteoh
01-01-2006, 04:20 AM
those clips, its tricky to make shure both of them are pressed in at the same time. I just broke them off to make it eazyer next time.

pyro, pressed to the side (left & right following the arrow) or pressed to the inside (90 degrees to the direction of the arrow).

Jon K
01-01-2006, 01:10 PM
i just deleted my stock ecu all together :p

Springfield1952
01-01-2006, 01:51 PM
You press the tabs in the direction of the arrows in pyro's photo. I use a small, blade screwdriver to push the tabs inward (arrow direction) to disengage, then wedged in a toothpick to keep the tabs disengaged while I pulled the top board out. Make sure the two posts in the back of the ECU where the ribbon cable is are popped apart. Unlike Jeff's, mine did not have a Torx screw. Good luck.

Curt.

ktteoh
01-01-2006, 09:38 PM
You press the tabs in the direction of the arrows in pyro's photo. I use a small, blade screwdriver to push the tabs inward (arrow direction) to disengage, then wedged in a toothpick to keep the tabs disengaged while I pulled the top board out. Make sure the two posts in the back of the ECU where the ribbon cable is are popped apart. Unlike Jeff's, mine did not have a Torx screw. Good luck.

Curt.

folks, just so i get this right. press the tabs inwards (meaning sideways - to the left & to the right towards each other) and then use toothpicks to wedge them in - right ?

is there no other tabs - in another posting it is mentioned that at the top center there is another tab ?

ktteoh
01-03-2006, 11:10 AM

pyro, i have wedged two toothpicks for the two tabs located at the sides. however i still can't budge the upper board loose.

is there another tab at the top center of the connector that i need to depress like in other postings i find on the internet - i can't see any though.

i realized i'm asking a lot but do appreciate the help from veterans with 2 layer ECU experience to help a newbie chipper like me.

632 Regal
01-03-2006, 12:31 PM
lift the back part of the board...and if you do that you can fish the chip in that way, make sure of the direction of the chip before replacing it.

I couldnt seperate my boards all the way my first time either so no biggie but I did manage swapping them.

it was the second or 3rd time when I figured it out. now it falls apart...lol

ktteoh
01-03-2006, 03:07 PM
lift the back part of the board...and if you do that you can fish the chip in that way, make sure of the direction of the chip before replacing it.

I couldnt seperate my boards all the way my first time either so no biggie but I did manage swapping them.

it was the second or 3rd time when I figured it out. now it falls apart...lol

i just need a good diagram where all locking tabs are especially the center tab and the correct way to unlock them without undue pressure on the upper board.

632 Regal
01-03-2006, 03:25 PM
http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main.htm

might be there

ktteoh
01-04-2006, 02:36 AM
http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main.htm

might be there

been there :(