PDA

View Full Version : Best battery for e34 -latest info?

Russell
12-30-2005, 09:32 AM
What is is the best replacement battery for an e34? I know I can search the archives. However, many of the posts are old. Has there been any changes in recomendations recently?

I know the VENTED Autozone Duralast is good. Any others out there? Are there any pitfalls besides the need for a vented battery? My BMW brand replacement battery is old (at least 5 years) and I may replace as preventative measure. TIA

Jr ///M5
12-30-2005, 09:53 AM
For whatever reason, the batteries that came from the factory lasts 8-10 years. Replacement BMW batteries do not last half as long. Maybe because the stock sits for maybe a year or two before it's called to duty in someones bimmer, plus the cost factor of a BMW battery.

That's when the Dura-last and the Interstate battery comes into play. At half the cost, and every bit of the longevity of the BMW replacement. Unless you are a purist to the fullest extent, it makes good sense to use an aftermarket battery. The warrenty for the aftermarkets are usually very good too.

The 318is is running a Duralast, the M5 is running an Interstate. The Duralast is going on 6 years now and has never failed to start. Touch wood...The Interstate was in the M5 when I bought it over 3 years ago, and still cranks over after long periods of sitting still during winter months. Touch wood, again..

I think the list goes like this..for the money...Duralast, Interstate, Sears brand. Those are the most used replacements that I know.

Kalevera
12-30-2005, 12:59 PM
The OEM, factory installed battery lasts longer because it was produced by some european company -- swiss or swedish, I can't remember at the moment and I can't find the source of the info to grab the name. As JR said, 8 to 10 years is the norm.

The "OEM Replacement" you buy from BMW is nothing more than a rebadged shitty old Douglas, hence they don't last that long.

There are only two or three automotive battery manufacturers in the states. Q posted some good info on what is sourced from which ones, but they're generally all the same. We use interstate at work; I have a Duralast DL49 (or whatever the model is, I forget) in my 535.

But, unless you're able to import the original manufacturer battery from Europe, the best route is to get the Duralast, in my opinion.

best, whit

Torque
12-30-2005, 01:12 PM
Interstate here; never failed to start -- I've had the car for the last 2 and a half years, and it was probably changed two or three years prior to that by the previous owner.

632 Regal
12-30-2005, 02:21 PM
Im sporting a box of Ray O Vac's all wired together.

I did the Duralast from autozone for the 50 bux or whatever it was.

Bill R.
12-30-2005, 02:41 PM
recently aquired them... thats right, johnson controls, so now most of the batteries out there for automotive are produced by johnson controls. I've had the best results with autozone duralast over any other batteries that i've installed in customers cars. And now they put a little credit card on the battery that entitles you to freejumps if you break down somewhere with one of their batteries.

The OEM, factory installed battery lasts longer because it was produced by some european company -- swiss or swedish, I can't remember at the moment and I can't find the source of the info to grab the name. As JR said, 8 to 10 years is the norm.

The "OEM Replacement" you buy from BMW is nothing more than a rebadged shitty old Douglas, hence they don't last that long.

There are only two or three automotive battery manufacturers in the states. Q posted some good info on what is sourced from which ones, but they're generally all the same. We use interstate at work; I have a Duralast DL49 (or whatever the model is, I forget) in my 535.

But, unless you're able to import the original manufacturer battery from Europe, the best route is to get the Duralast, in my opinion.

best, whit

Kalevera
12-30-2005, 03:21 PM
It was my impression that the factory hasn't used Varta batteries since the early 90s. I was reading about the difference between the factory and the replacement battery quality sometime in the past month; I wish I could remember where :(

Chris'91'525i
12-30-2005, 04:02 PM
Interstate here; never failed to start -- I've had the car for the last 2 and a half years, and it was probably changed two or three years prior to that by the previous owner.
Interstate here too.
According to paper work that came with car, it was installed in 3/2001.
Had it load tested recently as a precaution, and it checked out fine. Hopefully it will go a couple more summers.
I worked at SEARS autocenter many years ago, and could not believe the return rate on thier DieHard( Johnson Control) batteries. It was a huge return rate in the 1980's.
Don't know if it's still that bad, as I never bought one after seeing the DieHards past performance.

Bill R.
12-30-2005, 04:59 PM
also a relatively recent changeover to johnson control batteries.

Interstate here too.
According to paper work that came with car, it was installed in 3/2001.
Had it load tested recently as a precaution, and it checked out fine. Hopefully it will go a couple more summers.
I worked at SEARS autocenter many years ago, and could not believe the return rate on thier DieHard( Johnson Control) batteries. It was a huge return rate in the 1980's.
Don't know if it's still that bad, as I never bought one after seeing the DieHards past performance.

dacoyote
12-30-2005, 05:06 PM
I only use Interstate Batteries

Chris'91'525i
12-30-2005, 06:03 PM
also a relatively recent changeover to johnson control batteries.
Maybe they just delivered them then. As I would see a bobtail with Johnson Control plastered on the side of the trailer just about every week, unloading and loading the bad batteries.

Russell
12-31-2005, 06:04 AM
Thanks looks like Duralast or Interstate

fsteyer
01-01-2006, 04:45 AM
when my original went - after 7 years of no problems - I had to replace it in a pinch. I think a NAPA store sold me a DELCO which never fit right. It also was dead after 2 years.
Now I just put an Interstate in. There are 3 option for the E34s so make sure you get the right one. Mine now fits perfect in the space.
Thanks