PDA

View Full Version : Flat tire blues

theonew
12-29-2005, 10:32 PM
Living in New York City sucks, its so infrequent that you get a nice congestion free road to really open it up on. So tonight, driving home late on the FDR, which is once of the most treacherous urban hell-rides i've ever experienced, I finally pull ahead of traffic and start hitting the twisties (i had just changed my tire pressures to get more power oversteer) and was having a connected to your car type of moment, despite the wife yelling at me to slow down. Then I heard what sounded like a diesel truck engine braking beside me, and nervously looked around in a panic since I assumed no other vehicle was anywhere near me. The noise got louder and the car started wandering a bit, when I realized I had a flat. The places to pull over on the FDR are few and far between and at the same time that I realize my tire is flat I see a place to pull over immediately on the right. Even with one completely flat tire the car handled like a dream and I was able to brake hard and yank the car across two lanes into a little 20 foot berth on the side of the road. The next place to pull over was about a mile up the road. It was a bit hairy but I was really impressed with the way the car handled it, I never once felt really out of control. Plus I got to show my wife how to change a tire.

dacoyote
12-30-2005, 04:16 AM
Glad that it all worked out... middle of winter isn't the right time to be changing a tire however :-)

theonew
12-30-2005, 09:00 AM
It was actually a balmy 50 degrees last night.

dacoyote
12-30-2005, 10:02 AM
It was actually a balmy 50 degrees last night.

Not half bad then...

uscharalph
12-30-2005, 04:56 PM
About a month ago I had 2 flats in a span of 3 days. The 1st got a free replacement thru Discount Tire (I bought the insurance) and the 2nd was able to be repaired (Nail).