PDA

View Full Version : POR-15 preparation products, question....

Dave M
12-29-2005, 08:13 AM
Purchased some POR-15 yesterday (ouch, a bit steaper than 'rust check' brand). The destructions state that a water-based cleaner should be used to prep the surface. Of course, they also pitch their own marine cleaner which my source does not carry.

Are they any alternatives, or a commonly used solvent, safe for POR-15 prep. I have a number of small areas (most on the front cross-member) to address now that the engine and steering box are out, most of which were coated with a film of various petroleum based substances.

Ive already cleaned brushed and wiped with rubbing alcohol. Might this be sufficient? I have no experience with POR-15.

Thanks,

Dave M

632 Regal
12-29-2005, 08:23 AM
clean with your favorite chemical solvent, after all the grease and stuffs gone use hot water, a brush and dish soap?

Alcohol doesnt cut grease well.

Dave M
12-29-2005, 08:59 AM
Whats 'dish soap'? Maybe I should ask my wife.

Thanks jeff, i found the marine degreaser in town and will do as told!

Dave M

632 Regal
12-29-2005, 09:17 AM
what planet are you from again?
Whats 'dish soap'?

Jay 535i
12-29-2005, 10:41 AM
Purchased some POR-15 yesterday (ouch, a bit steaper than 'rust check' brand). The destructions state that a water-based cleaner should be used to prep the surface. Of course, they also pitch their own marine cleaner which my source does not carry.

Are they any alternatives, or a commonly used solvent, safe for POR-15 prep. I have a number of small areas (most on the front cross-member) to address now that the engine and steering box are out, most of which were coated with a film of various petroleum based substances.

Ive already cleaned brushed and wiped with rubbing alcohol. Might this be sufficient? I have no experience with POR-15.

Thanks,

Dave M

FWIW, I have Marine Cleen and it smells just like turpentine. I bet turpentine would do the same job, and will rinse of with water (won't it?).

Kalevera
12-29-2005, 01:04 PM
Dave, buy a box of brake cleaner and go at it. We use CRC stuff, but they're all the same. Best of both worlds: a strong solvent that leaves no residue and quickly evaporates. A can of brake cleaner and a good wire brush will take care of practically anything on the car.

best, whit

Dave M
12-29-2005, 05:39 PM
what planet are you from again?

That was a chauvinistic comment. Get it? If not, I'l ty harder next time :)

Dave M

dacoyote
12-29-2005, 07:00 PM
That was a chauvinistic comment. Get it? If not, I'l ty harder next time :)

Dave M

Be nice... Jeff has had a couple bad days...

Jon K
12-29-2005, 07:02 PM
doesn't a 'couple' equal to two? Jeff, how old are you?

jk.

Dave M
12-29-2005, 09:40 PM
Be nice... Jeff has had a couple bad days...

Sarcasm is not a friend of the internet. I meant no insult. If you're there Jeff, I've polished off a 26'er and just finished hand cleaning the block with 'marine cleaner'.

Off to the after hours bar,

Over and out,

Dave M

dacoyote
12-30-2005, 04:17 AM
Sarcasm is not a friend of the internet. I meant no insult. If you're there Jeff, I've polished off a 26'er and just finished hand cleaning the block with 'marine cleaner'.

Off to the after hours bar,

Over and out,

Dave M

As am I.... just being a post whore

Gayle
12-30-2005, 04:54 AM
I love it when you guys try to help each other get in touch with your feminine side. :D

dacoyote
12-30-2005, 05:32 AM
I love it when you guys try to help each other get in touch with your feminine side. :D

HAHAHAHAA.... You are all of the feminine side of the board...