PDA

View Full Version : Steering arm to balljoint (practical joint question)

genphreak
12-28-2005, 01:00 PM
Just reinstalling my thrust and lower control arms so we can get this new suspension setup rolling... the car has been on blocks for days now... so it is time and I've been very lazy this Christmas. A quick query before going further with it:

When reinstalling the control arms, is it not a good idea to use some oil or perhaps anti-seize compound in the tapered joint between the steering arm and the ball joint shaft? I don't want to comprimise the safety of the joint in any way, but neither do I want water getting in and rusting it.

I lean towards anti-seize compound, but practical opinions would be very handy, I"d like to get it right first time :)

MTIA, :) Nick

Regals Slut
12-28-2005, 01:10 PM
clean dry and oil free, the taper fit will seal out water.

632 Regal
12-28-2005, 01:13 PM
same as she said...lol

liquidtiger720
12-28-2005, 02:57 PM
Hmm... Regals slut, ey.

genphreak
12-29-2005, 03:20 AM
same as she said...lolHeh, thanks peeps. For a moment there I thought she might be self-lubricating, but oh, damn! I was just fantasising again... it's just too damn sexy, my red BMW...

Thanks for the suggestions, Kriss came over and we set up the car today. One of the control arms had to go back for replacement- its ball-joint boot didn't turn w the steering arm and tore apart undergoing a small twist. Was going to use the old boot or cover the second one, but we got a new arm instead, this sorta thing is better done once than once again... Ill post more on the job soon. :) Nick