PDA

View Full Version : The good and bad from a very long trip...

Beez540
12-28-2005, 11:58 AM
I put about 1200 miles on the car going home to see the family for christmas. Thanks to the "sand" that the Oregon DOT uses to battle ice and snow on some the more northern roads in the state I have about 30+ new little rock chips in my hood, nose, fenders, and windshield. So glad I had some paint work done in august.:(

On a good note though... the long trip seemed to make the car run smoother... not that it was really running rough, but everything is soooo silky smooth about it after about 500 miles of high speed cruising. MPG went up a tick too.

I also found that wandering over the line a bit and accidently driving on the vibration strips on the side of the road (the ones designed to wake you up), will make the backlight of your climate control come back to life.:D

dacoyote
12-28-2005, 12:15 PM
I drove over the rockys a couple times in the winter in the BMW... no faster way to ruin a paint job.

willobmw
12-28-2005, 01:17 PM
I put about 1200 miles on the car going home to see the family for christmas. Thanks to the "sand" that the Oregon DOT uses to battle ice and snow on some the more northern roads in the state I have about 30+ new little rock chips in my hood, nose, fenders, and windshield. So glad I had some paint work done in august.:(

On a good note though... the long trip seemed to make the car run smoother... not that it was really running rough, but everything is soooo silky smooth about it after about 500 miles of high speed cruising. MPG went up a tick too.

I also found that wandering over the line a bit and accidently driving on the vibration strips on the side of the road (the ones designed to wake you up), will make the backlight of your climate control come back to life.:D
Gothca back home safe. Great.

Phatty5BMW
12-29-2005, 02:21 PM
I also found that wandering over the line a bit and accidently driving on the vibration strips on the side of the road (the ones designed to wake you up), will make the backlight of your climate control come back to life.:D[/QUOTE]

I need to to do that for sure, mine dont work and im gonna try drivin a few miles on the rumble strip, see if i have any luck. :)

Paul in NZ
12-29-2005, 03:15 PM
ahhh yes the bimmers love a road trip......esp if the driver has an "Italian attitude" now and then

Torque
12-29-2005, 03:30 PM
ahhh yes the bimmers love a road trip......esp if the driver has an "Italian attitude" now and thenAnd that would include what? Wearing a black jacket, and ocassionally killing some bitches on the freeway?

:D

Paul in NZ
12-29-2005, 03:36 PM
the occasional big throttle hi rev accelleration manouvre

Torque
12-29-2005, 03:44 PM
the occasional big throttle hi rev accelleration manouvreThen I drive like a Itallian every second I'm in my car, after it gets to normal operating temperature.

darkbeer
12-29-2005, 03:47 PM
i'm going to try to drive over those strips on my next roadtrip with hopes that my climate control light would come back to life as well :)

Beez540
12-29-2005, 04:20 PM
i'm going to try to drive over those strips on my next roadtrip with hopes that my climate control light would come back to life as well :)

LOL... well mine still go out... just smack the dash and they'll probably come back on. :D

I need to root around in there and figure out where the short or loose connection is.

darkbeer
12-30-2005, 08:30 AM
[QUOTE=Beez540]LOL... well mine still go out... just smack the dash and they'll probably come back on. :D QUOTE]

i've tried smacking the dash before without success. exactly which part of the dash do you smack?

Torque
12-30-2005, 11:39 AM
Not to hijack this thread, but how does one get the center vent out (not the one on top of the dash, the one facing the cabin)? My light in the center of it is out ... I am assuming you pry it out somehow, but I don't wanna break something.

:)