PDA

View Full Version : Engine Head overhole

grave77
12-28-2005, 04:39 AM
I have seen some stuff on the web, but nothing really deep ... I need some information on how to replace valve seals removing the valves,camshaft... as I bought the head gasket harness, and there are lots of bits and pieces ... so I think I will rebuild the whole thing and I don't have enough information yet.

Note: Shogun... I know that you have a huge database but unfortunately I suck at German language ... if you can provide me links I will be very happy.

Dave M
12-28-2005, 05:05 AM
I have seen some stuff on the web, but nothing really deep ... I need some information on how to replace valve seals removing the valves,camshaft... as I bought the head gasket harness, and there are lots of bits and pieces ... so I think I will rebuild the whole thing and I don't have enough information yet.

Note: Shogun... I know that you have a huge database but unfortunately I suck at German language ... if you can provide me links I will be very happy.

While the bentley manual does not go in depth on valve seal replacement and guide replacement for the M30, it does tell you how to remove the camshafts etc (without a special tool). If the 'harness' you have is a head gasket kit, then you should have valve seals, but I'm not sure if it will contain any other necessary head components. Let us know what you ant to replace and what goal is (seals, guides, valve seats, re-grind?)

As i have found out thanks to the board, if you get this far, you likely want to hand the head over to a machine shop for a pressure test and guide installation, seat re-grind etc (if necessary). Not sure of the condition of your head, but disassembling it to replace only the seals may not do your work justice.

After deliberation, I think mine is getting the full monty,

my fity cent,

Dave M

Rustam
02-12-2006, 03:10 AM
Look into this website:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzerdcib/e34a

Zeuk in Oz
02-12-2006, 06:17 PM
Would have to agree with Dave M on this.

I recently had my head off and had it pressure tested and ultimately repaired at a reputable head shop.

While it was there I got them (using my gasket kit seals etc) to replace cam, rockers (both worn), valve guides & to reseat the valves. They also machined 7 thou off parts of the head.

Obviously it is possible to do it yourself (except the machining or repairing)and Bruno's site : http://www.bmwe34.net
contains some links to some info on how to do it yourself.

It's too much work not to make sure everything is OK ! :D