PDA

View Full Version : Fender rolling

Eric K
12-27-2005, 03:48 PM
Can i roll the fenders on my E28 535is at home or do i need to take it to a body shop to have it done.

Springfield1952
12-27-2005, 03:53 PM
I rolled the fenders on my '69 1600 with a 2x4 and a little muscle cleaned up with a few hammer whacks. Go slow, it's easy to do and hard to undo.

Good luck.

Curt.

liquidtiger720
12-27-2005, 08:18 PM
This might help you.

http://vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=3511

winfred
12-27-2005, 08:42 PM
i was about to suggest a bat :D

Rory535i
12-28-2005, 12:06 AM
I'm suprised how that turned out. Would have expected to see ripples and lumps etc.

GS535i
12-28-2005, 01:26 AM
The technique that many have used on the rear fenders of 928s is to hold a baseball bat at one end of the wheelwell as close to vertical as possible: your assistant(s) :D then slowly roll the car forward/reverse as the bat tracks along the tire for the arc you need to modify.
The trick is to go slowly, doing a little at a time over several passes .... you are 'flowing' the metal, not bending it. The second trick is to do it on a warm day in the sun, or use a hair dryer to assure that the paint is soft ... or it may crack.
This is to recontour the bodywork over the tire so it looks as if it was made that way; however, if all you want to do is to bend the fender lip, almost anything will work.

Incantation
12-28-2005, 06:38 AM
i've done it a few times with friends' cars.. it's easy but you have to be careful. couple things you will need:

bat
heat gun
fine material like silk.. something nice and smooth

you have to be careful with the heat gun.. you don't want to get the surface too warm but if it's not warm enough your paint might crack..

jack up the car.. and heat the fender in the area you want to roll... lower the car so that the bat is nestled in the fender and push down to roll it.. i would suggest making two passes; the first to get it a bit bent.. and then a second pass tucking it in nicely once you have got the whole surface bent in

some cars are very stiff and might require you to use a mallet on the paint surface so you have some opposing force against the bat.. if you do this be careful and place the smooth material on the paint finish as extra protection.. and make sure you have some heat on there

that's about all there is to it

bahnstormer
12-28-2005, 06:53 AM
cut 'em out and weld in some E30 fenders =]

Ted K
12-28-2005, 02:22 PM
cut 'em out and weld in some E30 fenders =]
This would be an easy way to go!