PDA

View Full Version : Crud! Starter housing broke in Transmission...

Hallmark
12-27-2005, 01:19 PM
When I pulled the starter off my '95 525 I found the housing around the drive gear broken off. Probably a third of the housing was jammed between the ring gear and the transmission housing. When I tried to free it the broken piece dropped down into the transmission.

Obviously, my first thought is that this chuck of metal needs to come out somehow. The problem is that I can't spot it with my inspection mirror. The guy who rebuilt my starter for me told me that those housings are notorious for breaking. He suggested that if I can't dig the broken piece out that it's the softest thing in there and won't cause any real problems with the hardened steel that makes up the moving parts.

Can this be true? I see that there are several openings in the bottom of the transmission. Can I just put it back together or do I have to pull the transmission to get this errant piece of cast aluminum out?

Your thoughts?

632 Regal
12-27-2005, 01:50 PM
just looked at realoem...no inspection cover. the part is in there somewhere, as you know you really have to get it out.

As for metalurgy class 101 aluminum is softer than steel but the idea of a big old hunk of stuff in there cant be "okay"

Try try again, youll find it, maybe it would help to turn the engine a bit??

Good luck with this one!!:(

Hallmark
12-28-2005, 12:59 PM
A little engine turning, a lot of probing and wiggling and I got the whole chunk out in one piece.

Thanks for the encouragement Jeff!:D

632 Regal
12-28-2005, 01:14 PM
now you have a trophy!;)