PDA

View Full Version : I wrecked

pbrennan10
12-27-2005, 11:38 AM
Well i hit a curve a smidge too fast today and drove into a rock cliff that was 8 inches off the road, gotta love those West Virginia mountains.

Looks like a new bumper, wheel, tire, right quarter panel, front door, and maybe rear bumper but it's only scuffed.

What would be your course of action if in my position? What i'd be replacing would basically be a body kit wouldn't it, would that be cost efficient in this situation?

http://www.tigbit.com/images/DSC02700.JPG
http://www.tigbit.com/images/DSC02701.JPG
http://www.tigbit.com/images/DSC02702.JPG

dacoyote
12-27-2005, 11:41 AM
Glad that you are ok....

Chances are good that the damage would total the car....

How does the rest of it run?

632 Regal
12-27-2005, 11:51 AM
the damage doesnt look too bad, i cant tell with this moniter, too dark

dacoyote
12-27-2005, 11:53 AM
the damage doesnt look too bad, i cant tell with this moniter, too dark

Yeah... it doesn't change the fact that it prop would count as a total on the insurance....

Maybe see if Ringmaster has parts?

pbrennan10
12-27-2005, 11:58 AM
Well i found a 89 black front fender, it will fit a 93 model like a glove, correct?

632 Regal
12-27-2005, 11:59 AM
yes, E34 is E34...real nice when you find parts the right color.

Gayle
12-27-2005, 12:54 PM
Please tell us more about the mechanical condition of the car and if you have done any mods.

250k is getting up there. Not a big deal if well maintained and you have gone through the 200k replacement cycle of crap that breaks every 100k.

Even if you find replacement body parts the same color, they won't really be the same color. Is that going to bug you? I think it was romus that was complaining that he realized his car is three different shades of red as a result of fender benders in the hands of the prior owner. Paint jobs are obscenely expensive. Also are you sure that all the mechanical stuff behind the messed up wheel is ok?

One strategy a lot of people do is strip the car of mods and then let the insurance company total it. If you get a good settlement from the insurance company it can be an opportunity to get the car you wish you had gotten after becoming more knowledgeable about e34s like getting a 535 or a manual or one with better paint etc.

So sorry this happened to you but maybe something good will come out of it.

I assume you saw the other thread that is going on with similar issues.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=17240

pbrennan10
12-27-2005, 02:45 PM
Well i just put new brakes, rotors, flex disc, and center bearing on it. The power steering hoses drip a little, and the brake fluid reservoir leaks a bit.
I really enjoy driving this car and i'd prefer to just drive it until the engine falls apart. I have another nice car so i'd like to keep this one to tool around in.

Gayle
12-27-2005, 03:28 PM
all e34 decisions are emotional ones imho

sounds like you are keeping her

You might want to post what parts you need in the classified section of the board. And rigmaster has the mother load of all parts. Message him with what you need.

632 Regal
12-27-2005, 03:45 PM
the master cylinder is supposed to have some sort of paper gasket on the cap...I made one from chipboard and it still seeps. Maybe the original was rubber or something.

the engine WONT fall apart (not remembering the post about a broken timing chain today) as long as its maintained, you know...synthetic oil and changes at some sort of intervals.

Well i just put new brakes, rotors, flex disc, and center bearing on it. The power steering hoses drip a little, and the brake fluid reservoir leaks a bit.
I really enjoy driving this car and i'd prefer to just drive it until the engine falls apart. I have another nice car so i'd like to keep this one to tool around in.

edit: if the frame is bent its basicly done, if not you can tool around forever.

Alexlind123
12-27-2005, 03:57 PM
Using used parts and fixing it yourself, it shouldnt be too expensive at all, and if you take your time and use new body parts it will be just like new. If the frame is bent, its not the end of the world, you can probably just remove enough parts to get at the frame rails and tow (or drive, if its a very short distance) it to a frame machine. It doesnt take long for those things to straighten a frame, from what i have heard.

If you are like me and do not have full insurance coverage (only collision, vandalism, etc.) the insurance company will have nothing to do with the damage, unless you got a ticket for driving too fast for conditions and your rate was raised.

tdgard
12-28-2005, 09:56 PM
I really hope it's just perspective, but why does it look like your tire is sticking WAY the hell out of the wheel well? Physics would dictate that it would go the other way. Hopefully it's just a camera aberation and good luck to you--I hate seeing these things wrecked.

Incantation
12-29-2005, 05:36 AM
time for a zeemax body kit

http://www.zeemax.com/Images/E34WB/E34WB7.jpg
http://www.zeemax.com/Images/E34WB/E34WB2.jpg

www.zeemax.com

Bill R.
12-29-2005, 05:40 AM
tire/wheel is off the car and just sitting there.....

I really hope it's just perspective, but why does it look like your tire is sticking WAY the hell out of the wheel well? Physics would dictate that it would go the other way. Hopefully it's just a camera aberation and good luck to you--I hate seeing these things wrecked.

Alexlind123
12-29-2005, 10:59 AM
Those zeemax body kits turn the e34 into a hideously freakish creation of a very troubled individual. I sincerely hope that youre joking.

pbrennan10
12-29-2005, 08:41 PM
i was sincerely thinking of a body kit, not that one though. I can't find any that look like they're worth the money.

Gayle
12-29-2005, 09:20 PM
Those zeemax body kits turn the e34 into a hideously freakish creation of a very troubled individual. I sincerely hope that youre joking.

LOL Sometimes I think you are the most mature person on this board.

McWatters
12-29-2005, 10:41 PM
as weird as it is i kinda like that body kit

pretty unique.

cheers

J.McWatters

dacoyote
12-30-2005, 04:15 AM
LOL Sometimes I think you are the most mature person on this board.

I aggree

Incantation
12-30-2005, 10:09 AM
hardly.. their narrow and wide kits look the best on the car. if it didn't cost so much i would get the e31 kit

Incantation
12-30-2005, 10:10 AM
let me guess.. you guys wear bermuda shorts with white socks pulled up to your knees? lolol

dacoyote
12-30-2005, 10:12 AM
let me guess.. you guys wear bermuda shorts with white socks pulled up to your knees? lolol

You say that like there is something wrong with it...