PDA

View Full Version : 95 525i coolant

vgame64
12-27-2005, 10:18 AM
hi, i have a 95 525i and today i was driving it for about 20 minutes at about 75 mph when the temperature gauge suddenly shot to the red area and the coolant temperature message appeared. I added a little bit more coolant to the right level but that did nothing. I havent had my coolant flushed in 2 years. Could this be the problem?

It works fine under 40 mph with the needle right in the middle. Not a great deal of warm air enters the cabin when the heat is on either.

help!!

Dave M
12-27-2005, 10:27 AM
Welcome game,

Either the archives or someone here will be able to help you. As you may very well know, the cooling systems on these vehicles are somewhat of an achilles tendon. One that I have had my fair share of struggles with.

My guess is air in the system. At engine speeds above XX, you may be pushing an air pocket around, thus affecting cooling system performance (and heating system performance for that matter). Again, a guess. It may be worthwhile changing your coolant and doing a proper bleeding. Have you driven it since the 'overheat' with no unusual behaviour (the car that is) :) ?

Good Luck,

someone will come to the rescue,

Dave M

dacoyote
12-27-2005, 10:28 AM
Water Pump? If its the stock plastic one replace it.....

vgame64
12-27-2005, 10:33 AM
ive driven it afterwords...it does the same thing repeatedly

dacoyote
12-27-2005, 10:35 AM
ive driven it afterwords...it does the same thing repeatedly

Hard to tell... if you are running the stock water pump you should replace it... regardless of if it's your issue.

632 Regal
12-27-2005, 10:39 AM
I vote air in the system, they are sometimes hard to bleed and since you repeatedly are overheating the thing you probably warped the head and other fun stuff.

dacoyote
12-27-2005, 10:40 AM
I vote air in the system, they are sometimes hard to bleed and since you repeatedly are overheating the thing you probably warped the head and other fun stuff.

See.. thats why I need to stop sending you links.... now you have gone and told him there is a good chance that he has ruined it....

They don't handle overheating really well.... (IE.. stop driving it till you get it fixed)

vgame64
12-27-2005, 11:04 AM
thanks for the help...I am taking it to a bmw dealership near me tommorow morning...hopefully the bill doesn't run too high ^_~

dacoyote
12-27-2005, 11:05 AM
thanks for the help...I am taking it to a bmw dealership near me tommorow morning...hopefully the bill doesn't run too high ^_~

Dude... the water pump isn't that hard... and if you search you can find a collection of writeups on how to bleed the system and the like...

632 Regal
12-27-2005, 11:07 AM
let us know the results Game, good luck!

dacoyote
12-27-2005, 11:12 AM
....good luck!

You are going to need it..... that and something else... (other then money) :-)