PDA

View Full Version : OCB "Brake Linings" message

Jay 535i
12-27-2005, 09:44 AM
I'm getting the "Brake Linings" message on my OBC.

My brakes work, sound and feel fine. Pads, rotors and wear sensors all have fewer than 5000km on them. I'm certain I don't need new brakes.

What's going on here? A malfunction of the wear sensor or something? What should I do?

Thanks.

stargazer_61
12-27-2005, 09:57 AM
Jay,

Pull the wheels and inspect the sensors. Driver side for front and passenger side for the rears (I think). How they work is they lay up next to the rotor. When the pad wears, the plastic coating on the sensor gets rubbed off by the rotor, exposing a conductive surface, triggering the "Brake Linings" message. It doesn't tell you which axle. One of the sensors may have come loose. They are inexpensive, around six bucks, and easy to replace.

Hope this helps.

John

632 Regal
12-27-2005, 10:04 AM
and sometimes the wire will wear through the insulation as it goes through the wheel well.

Alexlind123
12-27-2005, 10:13 AM
My brakes were new when i got my car, but new sensors were not installed. As a result, the OBC warning came on but twisting the yellow wire together at the left front and right rear of the car solved that. So if you dont want to get new sensors, or want a short term fix, you can just twist the wires :)

Jay 535i
12-27-2005, 10:48 AM
Thanks for that, guys. I'll pick up a couple of new sensors, just to be on the safe side. They're cheap enough that I may as well do it right.

Javier
12-27-2005, 05:52 PM
Any thing breaking the loop will trigger the alarm (they work by the rotor wearing out the connection between both wires to the sensor, thus opening the loop, not grounding it). Just check your sensors for continuity and discard/replace any open one, but if both check OK, you will have to look further to find what is opening the circuit.

Javier

uscharalph
12-27-2005, 10:44 PM
I'm getting the "Brake Linings" message on my OBC.

My brakes work, sound and feel fine. Pads, rotors and wear sensors all have fewer than 5000km on them. I'm certain I don't need new brakes.

What's going on here? A malfunction of the wear sensor or something? What should I do?

Thanks.
One of mine was connected improperly and came loose. The warning came on and I fitted it properly.

grave77
12-28-2005, 12:51 AM
I was going to tell you the same, any disconnection will trigger the OBC, check the sockets for good connection, rusty terminals would trigger it for sure.

Jay 535i
12-28-2005, 10:12 AM
Thanks everyone.