PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help needed: Electric seats

karl1171
12-27-2005, 08:05 AM
While sat at a set of traffic lights with my 14 month old daughter screaming at me from the back, I moved the driver's seat right back so I could reach her.

In doing so I think Ive severed a wire on the electric seat supply, as the fuse has blown, and blows every fuse I replace it with. (the seats were fitted by myself, although I hasten to add they proved no problen in my previous 5 series!).

The problem lies in the fact the seat is at the far end of its travel so the bolts to remove it are covered by the seat runner.

I removed a panel at the front of the seat there are several colour coded plugs but they don't bear any resemblance to the UK haynes manual wiring diagram.

If I can get the seat moved forward a bit i should be able to unbolt it and see the problem.

Any ideas?

Alexlind123
12-27-2005, 08:31 AM
It would help to know what kind of car you have. I would advise filling out your profile/signature if you expect any sort of advice about your car.

karl1171
12-27-2005, 11:11 AM
That's fair enough: I've had advice before though, and in this case my profile probably wouldn't be much use as the seats originatred in a different car, a 1989 535i. They are unheated leather recaros with memory. For the record they are now in a 1991 525i

Javier
12-27-2005, 05:40 PM
is feed by the Blue/Yellow and Violet/Yellow wires. You can try powering the motor straight from a 12V dc source to relocate the seat (fuse the auxiliary source, as you may have a shorted motor instead of your presumed wire damage). Be carefull, both wires are normaly grounded at the Memory seats module, so taping power to any one of the wires without first disconecting the module, will shortcircuit to ground your auxiliary source.

As you may figure out, reversing polarity to the wires will reverse the seat movement.

Javier

karl1171
12-28-2005, 10:24 AM
Thanks for your reply, unfortunately this didn't work for me. However, theres a torx head on the motor shaft thats accessible from the front of the seat. I've at least managed to relocate the seat now, I can look at the cause at a later date!