PDA

View Full Version : 1993 520i cranks but won't start

gigiscott
12-27-2005, 02:21 AM
i recently purchased a 1993 520i 6 cylinder European specs. The weather turned really cold after THanksgiving and the next morning it would not start. I replaced the spark plugs and it immediately started. A week later, it again will not start. It cranks well and fuel is being pushed. Anyone have an idea where to check next?:)

Rory535i
12-27-2005, 02:34 AM
is it getting spark?

gigiscott
12-28-2005, 12:35 AM
yes, it occassionally huffs like there is combustion of some type

motorman
12-28-2005, 01:30 AM
If it has spark, it is most likely not getting any fuel, try fuel pump fuse 1st, then fuel pump relay, fuel pump, injecter earth point. Sorry to ask this question, I have made this mistake myself, does it have fuel in the tank? After these things, fuel pressure regulator, lastly maybe ecu problem.
Hope this is of some help. Cheers Mick

grave77
12-28-2005, 01:39 AM
if it occasionly gets a spark then its the crank sensor mate

gigiscott
01-19-2006, 09:13 AM
If it has spark, it is most likely not getting any fuel, try fuel pump fuse 1st, then fuel pump relay, fuel pump, injecter earth point. Sorry to ask this question, I have made this mistake myself, does it have fuel in the tank? After these things, fuel pressure regulator, lastly maybe ecu problem.
Hope this is of some help. Cheers Mick

It gets fuel, the sparkplugs are covered. It cranks but will not hold the ignition. The carbon builds up rapidly on the sparkplugs. When the engine is hot, it will start without problem. It is in the morning when it is cold that i cannot get it to maintain a crank.

grave77
01-20-2006, 07:19 AM
well it seems to me that u have a bad MAF ... but to make sure, disconnect the O2 sensor and start it .. if it did then the O2 sensor is totaly damaged ... still you need to check for air leaks that one also causes bad start.